GFCI Won't Reset

Old 07-25-14, 09:04 AM
GFCI Won't Reset

Separated from : http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...er-fine-2.html

I realize this post is old but I'm having a very similar problem. All outlets and lights in bedroom and bathroom are out. GFCI in bathroom wont reset. I took it all apart and I only get .22 Volts at what I assume is line in because the other (load) shows 0 (or .01 volts). Breaker reads 120 volts.

Help me understand how tightening your outlets fixed the problem. Did the power run from the breaker through the 4 dining room outlets and then to your GFCI? and somewhere between outlet 3 and 4 was your loose connection where you lost power?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-14, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
It gets to confusing when you try to apply other peoples solutions which are unique to their situation to yours. Lets just discuss your problem.

Are there lights or receptacles other than the GFCI on the breaker? Are you sing a digital not analog multimeter? If so you can disregard the voltage readings you got. Consider both cables 0 volts.

Old 07-25-14, 01:07 PM
I turned on a vacuum in the bedroom and all the outlets and lights in that room as well as the bathroom next to it went out. breaker was not flipped. Found the tripped GFCI in the bathroom but would not reset. I removed the GFCI to replace it. 3 cables were coming into the box and were all tied together and attached to same side of old GFCI. I separated them all to try to figure out which one was line side.

I am using a Fluke 112 Multimeter so yes digital. 2 of the cables read essentially zero or about .01 V AC. The 3rd cable I'm guessing is line in because it showed a tiny reading higher than the other two at .22 V AC.

I recently moved into this house so I'm not sure all of the things done in the past and breaker box is terribly mislabeled. I tried to figure out which breaker I'm dealing with. I actually measured all breakers and each showed 120 V AC.
Any ideas to try next?

Old 07-25-14, 04:49 PM
Any other GFCI outlets in proximity?

Old 07-25-14, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
If the wires are all tied together then there is no load side. The circuit is just feeding the GFCI receptacle.

Since you do not have any voltage you need to look 'upstream'. As Matt posted, you may have another GFCI device before this one and this GFCI may be redundant.

Also did you check to make sure all your breakers are hot?

Old 07-26-14, 06:02 PM
look for another gfi outlet that is tripped.............front porch...........back porch.....garage,over on the far side back of all the boxes..........kitchen counter........another bathroom............i have even found one behine a gas range. for a few years we used 1 gfi to protect everything and it could be anywhere. you may have to push the reset button hard and beyound the face of the outlet.

Old 07-28-14, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I did look "upstream" and no other GFCI but two outlets and a light. Took all of them apart and of course the last one I tried was an outlet that had the hot exposed. I think it was touching the ground and shorting everything out. Looked like it had melted away part of the plastic. Clipped that off and put it back together and everything is working again. Do I need to worry about this happening again?

Old 07-28-14, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Do I need to worry about this happening again
Did you back stab or use the screws. If you used the screws it is less likely. The wire was probably a little loose previously and that caused the heat that melted the insulation.

Old 07-29-14, 02:15 PM
It was back stabbed when I found it. I pulled it out and clipped off the "burnt" part and then reattached this wire as well as the 3 others using the screws. Thanks for the tip