Guess what this wiring does

Old 07-25-14, 10:35 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Guess what this wiring does

Just bought a house that was foreclosed on. Previous occupants removed various things like light switch covers leaving many electrical boxes just open. This one is in my hallway. It is about 6 inches higher than a standard light switch. It's wiring as I found it is one large cable coming in from the left that has 5 wires: red, black, white, green and blue. The cable coming in from the right of the box has three wires: black, white, copper. The white wires are capped together. The green and blue wires are cut without any exposed wire showing. The remaining wire nuts are over single wires

It is right below my doorbell, on the wall in front of a bathroom. On the opposite wall is a thermostat. Any guesses as to what this might be? Or was? We have a security alarm on the other end of the house. Maybe another alarm panel????

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-14, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Previous occupants removed various things like light switch covers
Yes.......and devices too I see.

I doubt it has anything to do with the alarm system. Since it's a two gang box there were probably two switches in there at one time. You're going to have to go around and see what's not working.

Old 07-25-14, 11:02 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Green and blue insulated conductors are pretty rare for cable, are you sure you don't have a conduit installation? Do you find a blue wire anywhere else in the house or garage?

Old 07-26-14, 07:55 PM
J
is there any power in the box

Old 07-27-14, 08:44 AM
P
Thanks for all the replies. In looking at it a bit more closely it does appear to be in conduit. It does have power running to it. I have not seen blue wires anywhere else and we have been doing a lot of replacing outlets/fixtures (like I said the previous occupants took a lot of the electrical work). As far as I can tell all the light fixtures/outlets inside the house work except for both bathroom outlets which I am assuming have a flipped gfci somewhere... If I could just find it to reset it I could test my theory.....

I suppose I could just put a cover on it and leave it be. It's just driving me nuts every time I walk past it....

Old 07-27-14, 12:32 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like it might have controlled something like a multiple speed ceiling fan or something like that. With the different colors being each of the speeds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: