What is this clamp and wire on my water pipe?

Old 07-27-14, 01:35 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 42
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is this clamp and wire on my water pipe?


I just replaced the valve shown in the first image and I want to remove the clamp that you can see near the wall in that picture. It clamps a piece of copper wire to the pipe. It's just a short piece of wire that doesn't go anywhere. I don't understand what purpose it could possibly serve. I've heard of "bonding" water lines to other components of electrical system, but in that case the wire would come from one component and continue to next component. I also have a similar, but larger contraption on the cold water line to my water heater, shown in second image. Am I wrong? Do these clamps serve some purpose? Thanks!

Old 07-27-14, 04:10 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You say it goes nowhere. It isn't tied to your panel?
Old 07-27-14, 05:04 AM
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,070
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
An abandoned ground for the telephone, cable TV, or a radio/TV antenna? Sometimes clamps and short wires are used to bridge across water pipe couplers that may lose conductivity.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: