Miter Saw Trips GFCI

Old 07-27-14, 09:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Miter Saw Trips GFCI

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...cuit-gfci.html

Thanks Chandler, as your thoughts are giving me hope. I'm having an issue related to this thread...and perhaps you or others could help. My trusty Hitachi compound mitre saw, after nearly 20 years of flawless service, is now tripping my available GFI circuits (or any circuit in the house I plug it into), the moment I plug in the saw. I know it's an issue with the saw, as I've removed all other cords along the way, and any other tool is working fine via similar outlets. You mentioned an issue you;ve had with the brake and windings, but I'm not so familiar with the wiring related parts... but I am very handy. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! - Brian

Last edited by ray2047; 07-27-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! When exactly does the breaker trip? When you plug it in? When you pull the trigger? When you let the trigger go? Or when the brake actuates? One problem I see is GFCI's don't trip on overload, only on ground fault, whereas a breaker will trip on overload or direct short. What amperage is your saw? What size breaker protects the circuits you are plugging it into?

Old 07-27-14, 12:53 PM
S
The GFI trips at the moment I plug in the saw - a saw I've been using on this circuit/GFI and others around the house for 12 years without issue. Thus, something in the saw or saw's power cord is shorting... I checked the cord and it's connection, and that seems fine. I've toggled the trigger, just in case it was causing the problem, but it had no effect... The saw will trip any GFI or circuit I plug it into. The GFI I usually use is tied into a circuit with a 20a breaker. It's not an overload issue, as my table saw, planer and other hand tools are running fine on this circuit/GFI.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Brian

Old 07-27-14, 01:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The GFI trips at the moment I plug in the saw
If it trips before the saw is turned on then a failing power cord is the most likely cause. Replace the cord and plug and see if that fixes it. If it is not a modeled cord set plug try replacing the plug first.

Old 07-27-14, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Yeah that's my thought too. With the saw unplugged check for continuity between the plug terminals. If there is continuity, narrow down where. Open the case up and disconnect the plug wire from the switch and see if that discontinues the continuity at the plug terminals or not.

Old 07-27-14, 02:03 PM
S
Problem solved!

There was a well hidden splice in the cord that failed... All fixed now.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: