Breaker got wet, now keeps tripping

Old 07-27-14, 01:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker got wet, now keeps tripping

I have an outdoor breaker box that services all the equipment for my pool and one outlet. Three weeks ago I was draining some water from the pool & the hose ruptured, shooting water right up at the breaker box, which shut down immediately. I turned off the power, took off the panel and blew the whole thing dry with a leaf blower, and after that everything worked fine except one breaker that won't stay on (it's for the pump for the waterfall, and it worked fine before). It's been three weeks, it's definitely dry, and it still won't stay on. I bought a new breaker to replace it, but before I do I was wondering if that is what the problem is. In all the things I've read about similar situations, the breaker needing to be replaced never seems to be the solution. Any thoughts?

Old 07-27-14, 02:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you will never know until you install the new circuit breaker

Old 07-27-14, 03:44 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
I bought a new breaker to replace it, but before I do I was wondering if that is what the problem is. In all the things I've read about similar situations, the breaker needing to be replaced never seems to be the solution. Any thoughts?
One quick test is to just disconnect the circuit from the breaker and see if it will reset. If it resets, the problem is in the circuit and not the breaker. Even if the problem is in the circuit, I'd probably in the end replace the breaker too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: