Getting wire thru long conduit

Old 07-28-14, 09:02 AM
Getting wire thru long conduit

Hi folks,

What's the best way to push 3 electrical cables through a continuous 1" wide 400ft long flexible PVC conduit?
I'm pretty sure I'm not the first human doing this.

I read about the ShopVac + String method but I have a gut feeling it may not work due to the length of the conduit.

--
Art

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-14, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
I have tied a foam ear plug onto the end of a piece of string and used the output (blowing) of a shop vac to blow it through conduit. I've also done with the shop vac providing suction but I've never tired it on anything more than 100' but it worked well over that distance. 400' through 1" conduit is a bit crazy though. Should I ask why such a long, continuous bit of conduit?

Old 07-28-14, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why 3 cables instead of a feeder to a sub panel?

Old 07-28-14, 09:24 AM
It's going to be an underground cable to supply power to a well-head pump about 400ft away from the house.

The current direct-bury underground feed cable kept breaking and we've decided to replace with a a totally new one that has a conduit.

Old 07-28-14, 09:28 AM
Get 150 yards dental floss.
Cut a 1" x 11" strip off a tyvek envelope and tie in the center like a bow tie.
Blow through with an air compressor.

Use the floss to pull through some high pound fishing line.
Use the fishing line to pull through the cables.

Old 07-28-14, 09:28 AM
3 cables = {red, black, white}

Old 07-28-14, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those are conductors. Cables are an assembly of conductors in a group or overall sheath.

If your pump is 240 you do not need a neutral. It most likely does require a grounding conductor.

Old 07-28-14, 10:11 AM
It's 240V but both the original (UF) and the temporary (current surface cable) have a neutral so I am not going to change this.

Old 07-28-14, 10:16 AM
Rigid PVC

I guess the other solution would be to use a rigid PVC conduits which comes in short segments. That will be easier to work with in terms of threading cables in them but there's the issue with PVC cements breaking down over the years and allowing moisture to enter.

Would you guys consider rigid PVC for a long term underground solution?

I will use THWN rated cables as a further protection.

Old 07-28-14, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
It is assumed that any buried conduit will fill with water in time.

Old 07-28-14, 10:41 AM
Interesting -
Are you allowed to slope the conduit so that it drains into the basement or well vault??

Old 07-28-14, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know why you'd want to allow a pipe (conduit) to transport water into your house. Once the water's inside the pipe the conductors will get wet. Whether or not the water is flowing or standing probably won't make much difference to the life of the wires. I am lucky with my well pump conduit as it stays dry. It's continuous with no seams and both ends are in weather protected locations.

Old 07-28-14, 02:20 PM
Use sch 40 pvc.....................use pvc pipe cleaner..........glue

this is a wet location.......NEC 310.8 (C) (2) use THHW,THWN,THWN-2 OR OTHER wire RATED FOR A WET LOCATION

the pipe will have water in it. We do not care.

or the pipe will dry out. we do not care.

the wire will hold up.

Old 07-28-14, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
I don't know why you'd want to allow a pipe (conduit) to transport water into your house.
It keeps hard to access wires from rusting out. That's a good thing.
Same way a downspout transports the water to a location where it's easy to deal with.
Yes, you might have an occasional basement drip-drip during wet weather, but that's manageable.

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
Once the water's inside the pipe the conductors will get wet.
You indicated they all do. They last longer when there is a drain that lets them dry out.

Originally Posted by Pilot Danbe
Whether or not the water is flowing or standing probably won't make much difference to the life of the wires.
Really? Why?

My umbrella gets wet, then dries out. That's what umbrellas are supposed to do.
Conduit rated wires get wet, then dry out, isn't that's what they're supposed to do?

Old 07-28-14, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The conduit system is supposed to be complete end to end before the wiring is installed. You do not slide the conduit over the wires and glue.

Old 07-28-14, 03:12 PM
you may pull a string into a conduit as you glue it together.........take a 12 foot wire ............attach your 400 ft string to the end.......push through 2 sections of pipe ....glue the 2 sections together....do this over and over...........

keep the string moving so it will not stick to the glue......

when done...pull a larger rope to pull the wire

Old 07-28-14, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would suggest leaving the neutral, too, since you may want to put a heat tape or light at the pump location. 400' is a step. What size wire are you planning on using?

Old 07-28-14, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
There really isn't a length limit a string can be pulled thru a conduit. When you pickup your supplies... pick up a 500' coil of fishing/drag line and a mouse the same size as the pipe.

I've pulled a string with a vacuum up to +1500'. A good shop vac will pull a 400' line in a few seconds. After the drag line is pulled..... you'll pull in a rope. Probably 1/2" or 5/8" based on what you are pulling.

Old 07-28-14, 07:06 PM
What's the best way to push 3 electrical cables through a continuous 1" wide 400ft long flexible PVC conduit?
Will never happen. You should probably call in a professional for this job.

Old 07-29-14, 04:00 AM
Guys, I bow to your knowledge, but did you see the word flexible in arthury's original post? This raises a flag for me. Seems like Liquid-Tight might pass the birdie and a light string, but it would balk at allowing three large wires to be pulled through 400 feet.

Old 07-29-14, 04:40 AM
Guys, I bow to your knowledge, but did you see the word flexible in arthury's original post? This raises a flag for me. Seems like Liquid-Tight might pass the birdie and a light string, but it would balk at allowing three large wires to be pulled through 400 feet.
400' of liquidtite!???!!!!

That's not going to fly. NEC 356.12

I guess the other solution would be to use a rigid PVC conduits which comes in short segments. That will be easier to work with in terms of threading cables in them but there's the issue with PVC cements breaking down over the years and allowing moisture to enter.
What are you proposing here? Assembling conduit around the wires? That is also a code violation and a very sloppy practice.

Like Joe said.... you need to hire proffesionals.

Old 07-29-14, 06:01 AM

you may if you want to.

NEC 356.10 (5)...................i use long carflex all the time.....lay it out straight..pull the wires in......coil it up like a hose........install like a cable.

you can also buy liquidtite with any size wire in it ...any number of wires.... 400 ft long

Old 07-29-14, 06:12 AM

you may if you want to.
That's right, I forgot he is doing direct burial. But I still wouldn't use it, not very practical.

Maybe you would if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket.

Old 07-29-14, 07:32 AM

Will never happen. You should probably call in a professional for this job.
I had assumed that by flexible PVC conduit the OP wanted to use ENT, but it cannot be used outside or direct buried. LFNC (Carflex) would work, but would be very expensive. I believe that for a beginning DIYer that a 400 foot wire pull will be more of a challenge then what he's equipped for. It doesn't take much experience to know that PVC sch 40 is the way to go on this.