GFI keep's popping

Old 07-28-14, 12:29 PM
GFI keep's poping

A little history on my house.
Double wide built June 1995.
No electrical upgrades.
No garage, pool.

Now the problem Started yesterday 7/26/14 GFI in bathroom when reset it works for about 10 sec. Makes a clicking sound and than pops. I have unplugged everything (I hope) from ALL protected systems.
Not sure where to go now. My experience is Air Craft trouble shooting not house.
Thanks for any advise / help.

Have a great day
and remember to thank a VET.
USN Retired.

Last edited by Austonpond; 07-28-14 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-14, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Disconnect the cable on the line side and using a multimeter, preferably analog, verify you have ~120 volts. Reconnect the line side and disconnect the cable on the load side and see if it will reset. If not it is probably a bad GFCI.

Old 07-28-14, 03:11 PM
It will stay reset if I disconnect the Load Side. And I have 120 V. at the Line Side.
Have disconnected ( one at a time, with the Load side on the GFI connected) all down the line GFI and plain Receptacles. But as long as the Load side is connected it still pop's.

Old 07-28-14, 04:18 PM
you have a small short down the line after the gfi....

or

the gfi is bad.

Old 07-28-14, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You don't have a short, but a ground fault. GFCI's don't trip on overload. But I agree the GFCI could be bad if you don't find a fault downstream.

Old 07-28-14, 07:54 PM
Have disconnected ( one at a time, with the Load side on the GFI connected) all down the line GFI and plain Receptacles. But as long as the Load side is connected it still pop's.
Where are these downline receptacles and additional GFCI receptacles? GFCI receptacles fed from a GFCI protected circuit have been known to cause nuisance trips, is that what you have? Why are these other receptacles GFCI protected, are they in another bathroom or outside?