light socket only receiving 60 V AC

Old 07-29-14, 07:14 PM
light socket only receiving 60 V AC

HI,

I light in my basement has stopped working. A quick investigation has revealed that the socket is only outputting 64 V AC. I am in the process of tracing the voltage backwards but wondered if this 64 V AC is a sign of a certain problem.

It did appear the light was on a circuit i was recently working on (removing a light) but now i'm not so sure. There's a wire that comes out of my fuse box, goes to the light and then onto the switch. Then from the switch it goes off in other directions (to other lights i assume). However i turned off this circuit (from the fuse box that wire leaves) and i still see 120 V at the switch. The switch itself has the black wire feeding into the red wire that heads to the light. Perhaps i'll post a photo later.

thanks for any tips.

oman

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-14, 07:25 PM
Digital volt meters are notorious for showing large voltages when there is no power on the lines, test the socket with a regular light bulb, if it really shows 60 volts the bulb will glow like it's on a dimmer, if the light does not turn on at all then the wires are not energized.

Old 07-29-14, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Another helpful measurement would be from black to ground.

Old 07-30-14, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
And change the batteries in your meter if digital or better buy a $8-$15analog multimeter.

Old 07-30-14, 06:53 PM
thanks for the tips, digital multimeter was used. The light definitely doesn't work. I'll have to trace it a bit more. It appears the voltage came through on the red wire at the light. Will have to test the black and ground elsewhere.

Old 07-30-14, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... then check the red wire to ground.