Live wire, but light fixture don't work.

Old 07-31-14, 09:40 PM
Live wire, but light fixture don't work.

When I moved in to my house, there was a switch to a light above the sink that did not work. On further inspection, I found the light was not wired. I tested the wire from the switch and found it to be live when switch and not when off. I wired the light up, but it did not work. I bought a new light, but that did not work. There is power, but I can't figure out why the lights won't work. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-14, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

For a light to work it needs a complete path. You have confirmed you have a hot wire which means you have lost the neutral.

Old 07-31-14, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't use a non contact tester did you?

Old 08-01-14, 11:36 AM
Yes. I used a non contact tester.

Old 08-01-14, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Yes. I used a non contact tester.
Then you don't know if the line is hot. Non contact testers do not measure voltage. They only indicate the presence of an electromagnetic field that may or may not be related to a significant voltage being present. Best to use a multimeter, preferably analog. All you need is a cheap $8-$15 one. When you say wire at the switch do you really mean cable. A wire is a single conductor. A cable is two or more wires in a metallic or non metallic sheath.

If you have only a single 2-conductor cable at the switch and that really does go to the light then that is a simple switch loop and no meaningful voltage measurements need to be made there. How many cables at the light?