Adding exerior receptacle/rim joist insulation

Old 08-01-14, 07:50 PM
Adding exerior receptacle/rim joist insulation

Hello -

I'm planning to install a receptacle outside for my sump pump. It's currently run off of extension cords daisy chained into my garage (The things people do... prior homeowner).

I'm going through the rim joist which dumps into a joist cavity that I can access from an unfinished portion of my basement. The location of the receptacle is over a finished portion of the basement. The question I have is regarding how to get through the fiberglass insulation in the joist cavity. I know if I run a drill bit in from the exterior of the house, it'll simply get tangled in the insulation. It was recommended that I use a 3.5 inch hole saw and cut an opening that I can get my hand into to work around the insulation, then seal it with a 4x4 electrical box, but this seems like overkill. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to best get 12 gauge romex through the insulation without having access to it from the inside?

Related question - I'm confused about securing the cable into the outdoor electrical box - do I need to use a cable clamp on the box itself, thus requiring me to drill a larger hole? On a prior project, I didn't secure it going into the box, I just used a rubber grommet to protect the cable from the siding and sent it into the box. The inspector didn't have anything to say about it... I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-14, 08:20 PM
You have an outside sump pump? Doesn't it freeze up in the winter?

Old 08-01-14, 08:29 PM
Nope - it's dug down quite a ways, well below the frost level... I just unplug it during the winter months so the discharge tube doesn't freeze up.

Old 08-01-14, 08:42 PM
I don't think I'd worry about the bit getting tangled in the insulation, the insulation can't be all that thick. Once you get the hole drilled, I'd try pushing a steel fish tape through the insulated cavity from the outside between the joists to the unfinished portion of the basement and pull the new 12-2 NM B cable back through to the outside. Yes, you need to use an appropriate NM cable connector on the back of the box.