Trim around electrical boxes

Old 08-02-14, 10:46 AM
Trim around electrical boxes

I am in the process of getting ready to tin the inside of my shop. I want to flush mount all of my electrical boxes. Does anyone know of a way of doing this? I do not want to surface mount them, and want some kind of trim around them. The shop has been strapped ever 2 feet with either 1x4 or 2x4. I also put 3/4 inch plywood at 4' -8'.The electrical boxes will be mounted in the plywood. Hope this kind of makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 11:11 AM
What are you putting on the walls? If it's just sheet metal put the boxes in so they're flush with the plywood.

Old 08-02-14, 11:17 AM
I will be putting ribbed tin on the walls. I was hoping that I could get some kind of trim to go around the boxes so I didn't have a sharp edge around all of them and just to finish it off so it looks nicer.

Old 08-02-14, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you planning far enough in advance to have the boxes fall between the ribbing? If not it will be a nightmare. If you mount the boxes flush to the plywood as Justin states, all you have to do is put on a cover plate. Are you using metal boxes or plastic? There may be a special grounding situation there for the metal wall versus the receptacles/switches, which are most likely self grounding.

Old 08-02-14, 11:24 AM
It is going to fall on the on some of the boxes. I was thinking about doing what Justin said. only after the tin was up I would be able to go around each box with j mold.

Old 08-02-14, 11:28 AM
I will be using metal boxes