Antique fan wiring help

Old 08-02-14, 03:15 PM
Antique fan wiring help

At a yard sale I bought an antique table top fan. It's named Wizard, from the Bersted Mfg.Co. I am not able to read the model #. It doesn't have the Off-Lo-Med-Hi switch although there's a place for one. It was just wired so that when it's plugged in it's on. I'd like to wire it correctly, can anyone tell me how? There's 2 wires coming out of the casing for the enclosed motor.One goes to one side of the power cord. The other goes to a connecting wire that connects to a red wire and a yellow wire that both come from one end of an exposed winding on the rear of the motor. Coming from the other end of this winding is a black wire connected to the other side of the power cord. Any ideas on how to wire this fan correctly, what the rear winding is for, and where to find a switch like it's supposed to have (with OFF-LO-MED-HI)? I'd sure appreciate any help I can get. Even if you can help with something and not everything, Let's have it! Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

If you connect the wire going to the red and yellow wires to just one of them (just the red or just the yellow) will the fan run? I think some pictures would be helpful.

Old 09-03-14, 07:38 PM
Here are some pictures I took. (I've never done this so maybe here are some pictures I took.) I hope they're OK. It's all dirty,taped, sometimes soldered, and there was even a big dirt dobber nest in there. This is what it looked like inside when I brought it home and took it apart. Then I disconnected the red and yellow wires and connected them separately. The motor runs with each one separately and with them both connected together like it was when I got it. I couldn't tell if the motor's speed changed, it sounds a little different with the different connections so it probably does change speeds. Do these Pictures help? Any info. will surely be appreciated. Thanks again,Mike p.s. The last pic. was taken after I'd tinkered with the wires.

Name:  IMG_9801.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  42.3 KBName:  IMG_9802.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  40.9 KBName:  IMG_9803.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  38.0 KBName:  IMG_9804.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  35.4 KBName:  IMG_9805.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  33.5 KB

Old 09-03-14, 08:51 PM
the exposed winding you speak of is a speed coil, with the red and yellow wires connecting through a two speed switch to select speed, so essentially you have high and low speeds. Is the opening for the speed switch in the bullet (rear housing) of the fan or in the base? there are different types of switches for different types of applications such as multi speed pull chain switches or knob type switches. you might get some more help over at the vintage fan forum Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums . Your fan was manufactured by Bersted for Western Auto to sell through their stores.

Old 09-03-14, 10:18 PM
Group Moderator
This is a wiring diagram that I drew for your fan. I may have red and yellow backwards as there is no standard that I'm aware of.

Name:  fan.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  11.7 KB