Smoke detectors in interconnect mode

Old 08-02-14, 08:01 PM
Smoke detectors in interconnect mode

Hello

I wish to replace my ageing smoke detectors that are hard wired. They both have hot and neutral wires but I do not know if they share the same neutral wire because the wiring goes through the house timber frame. Is there a way that I can tell?
To interconnect them I must run a "interconnect wire" between them but they also must all be on the same neutral wire.
If I can not find out or they do not share neutral is it ok for me to do the following.
1. From the first detector loop the neutral to the other(s) through the roof space with the interconnect wire but leaving the hot wires as they are.
2. On the next in line detector I would simply close off the existing neutral wire and use the loop neutral from the first

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
If they all shut off with one circuit breaker then the neutral issue is moot.

Not quite sure what you want to do but you need three wires between each battery/AC smoke detector. The wiring should be 14-3 w/ground.

Old 08-02-14, 09:38 PM
This might help you understand, taken from the documentation.

HOW INTERCONNECTED ALARMS FUNCTION
Interconnecting smoke alarms is a method of joining a series of alarms so that if any one alarm senses smoke,
all alarms in the series will operate (go into alarm mode).
9V signal on the I and N wires is used to alarm all the other Interconnected alarms.
A combination of Clipsal 755 Series Ionisation or Photoelectric smoke alarms can be used on
one circuit.
WARNING
All interconnected smoke alarms must be supplied from a single circuit.
A common Neutral must be used for the Interconnect to function.
DO NOT connect the Interconnect wire to Active or Neutral.
A maximum of 40 Clipsal 755 Series smoke alarms can be installed on one circuit.

Old 08-02-14, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
For others reading this thread... Clipsal is an Australian product that runs on 220v-240v 50hz.

Here in the states a three wire cable is used between each unit. A single wire could not be added at a later time for interconnection.

Old 08-03-14, 05:02 AM
Not knowing the OP was in Australia, I was going to suggest AC/battery wireless interconnect detectors, but I don't know if they are available in Australia in the proper voltage. It would have been helpful had the OP filled out his profile so we could see where he was from.

Old 08-03-14, 06:30 AM
sorry, Australia it is. 240V indeed.
Maybe I will just link 2 together, use a test smoke can and see if they work together.