Parallel Circuit WeMo and Switches

Old 08-03-14, 06:10 AM
Parallel Circuit WeMo and Switches

Hi all,

Is this circuit possible?

Mainly, I have a two 3 way switches that allow me to turn on/off my outdoor lights.

Besides these 2 switches, I would also like to control my lights using a Belkin Wemo that I already own.

Could you please say if I can shortcircuit the switches and the Wemo as this diagram.

What happens if I power on the manual switch and also the belkin wemo at the same time? Will this also make power go through Belkin Wemo output (in the opposite direction?)

Best,

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-14, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

If you live in the US as your profile shows, your lights will be 120 volt, not 220(240v).

You could install the Wemo device slaved to the existing 3 way switches as you have shown only if the device is designed to be hard wired. The switches would be required to be in the "On" position all the time.

A better option would be to buy the devices that are designed to replace the existing switches.

Old 08-03-14, 08:04 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your prompt help!
I have house in both places (Europe and US California), that why the 220V.

Regarding the diagram I've shown here, the WeMo switch (internet controlled relay) and the manual switch are always powered and both would turn on the Lamp.

My question is, when both of them are ON, won't it break anything (or maybe explode?)?

best,

Old 08-03-14, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Will that circuit you drew work.... yes.
Turning both switches on shouldn't hurt anything.

However, what you've drawn is not a three way system.

Old 08-03-14, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Make sure the unit you install is rated for the voltage and cycles you have (220v 50Hz in Europe, 120v 60Hz in US)

The relay will work if you parallel it with the switches. This means you need to get the hot before the three way switches, an it would need to be from the same circuit or you can blow things up.

Here is a very professional diagram:

Name:  relay3way.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  18.4 KB

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-03-14 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-03-14, 09:53 AM
Many thanks. That's what is exactly what I am looking for.

The relay is not a traditional relay. It's a Belkin Wemo switch (link).

My last question is that If I turn on the manual switch, it will power the relay (Belkin WeMo) for it's output. This should not be a problem in your point of view?

Best regards,

Old 08-03-14, 09:57 AM
You're right. I've not drew the correct system of what I have in home.

Could you also see my reply to Tolyn Ironhand's reply? I have a doubt about hurting the Belkin Wemo by powering it from the output when switch on the manual switch.

Best

Old 08-03-14, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
That switch is not going to work. It is designed to be for a cord and plug like for a lamp. It is not designed to be hard wired.

If you look at my diagram the relay is fed before any switches and is in parallel with the 3 ways. If you place the relay after the 3 ways, when they are off, the relay will loose power. I'm not sure if the relay device has to go through a reboot after it looses power, so this might cause an issue.

Again, I would suggest replacing the 3 ways with these: WeMo Light Switch