Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Guest room circuit keeps tripping breaker - South Carolina

Old 08-03-14, 08:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
One particular circuit in my house is dead and the breaker keeps popping. Best I can tell, the circuit services a guest room's outlets, ceiling fan and light, as well as a neighboring bathroom lights and fan, but not the outlets in the bathroom -those still work and are on a GFCI connected to a downstairs bath I believe. At any rate, the outlets in the bathroom work.

I pulled and ohm'd out the breaker on the problem circuit and it tested fine and I then swapped the breaker for the one right next to it - the "new" breaker I moved into the bad circuit popper right away and the "old" breaker works fine on the circuit right below the faulty circuit.

I've unplugged everything from all the outlets on the faulty circuit and so the only thing I haven't disconnected from the circuit is the ceiling fan and light in the guest room and the exhaust fan and light in the bathroom.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Augoose

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-14, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is this a standard breaker, or does it say AFCI or GFCI on the breaker?
Sadly you will need to start opening up boxes and looking for what is causing the short. If you have critters in your crawl space or in your attic, this might also be a cause to investigate.

Old 08-03-14, 07:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help Tolyn - I figured it out after walking away for a bit, re-evaluating and then tackling it again. On the panel there was a handwritten note and a faint arrow leading towards the breaker in question. The note said "fan under house". Not knowing what that meant, I crawled under the house and tested every 110 line I came across and looking for a "fan" until I found a deal lead going to the sump pump. After unplugging the sump pump the breaker stayed on and the circuit was good again. Apparently I'll be replacing the sump pump as it was sitting in about 14" of water in a plastic bucket buried in the dirt. Not sure why someone called it a "fan"....

At least while I was down there I noticed another problem that needed attention - quite a bit of standing water. Upon further examination I noticed that the 1" pvc line which was the drain for the air handler beneath the house was clogged and so the water was just pooling beneath the house. I followed the line outside and dug up the end - clogged with dirt. Apparently the home builder decided that it didn't need a screen, gravel, drain box or anything else - they just ran it into the dirt because they obviously didn't care. I'll install a drain box and some corrugated piping to disperse the water and do it correctly.....
Mungo Homes in South Carolina.........

Old 08-04-14, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
Glad you go it figured out. That circuit may have ran a fan before that pump was installed. Circuits get changed around all the time.