Watertight fittings at disconnect

Old 08-05-14, 05:57 AM
Watertight fittings at disconnect

If I'm using schedule 40 and connecting to an electrical disconnect box outside, are there any special considerations I need to take, or special fittings to use to make the connection watertight? I have a 1/2" connection that will go directly into the back of the disconnect box from the house, and a 3/4" connection that will go through one of the knockouts. I was planning on using female connections with locknuts but am not sure if that's considered watertight.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-14, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are mounting a new disconnect on the wall you can caulk on the top and two sides to keep weather out. A upside down U of duct seal could also be used over the conduits.

Those a male fittings that use locknuts.

Old 08-06-14, 11:10 PM
if you use a knockout that comes with the box,it does not have to be water tight.
any water drains down and out.

if you cut a hole in the top you will have to use a special fitting for a water tight connection.

If you are mounting a new disconnect on the wall you can caulk on the top and two sides to keep weather out.
this is good to keep water out of the hole in the house.

we do not worry about keeping water out of the pipe.it will get wet, it will hold water. it is OK.

Old 08-07-14, 06:26 AM
if you cut a hole in the top you will have to use a special fitting for a water tight connection.
The special fitting for a raintight connection in the top of a NEMA 3R raintight disconnect or junction box is commonly called a myers hub.

Myers ST-2 Myers, .75 IN Hub Basic Conduit Fitting, Scru-Tite, Zinc - Crescent Electric Supply Company

Old 08-13-14, 10:02 PM
The special fitting for a raintight connection in the top of a NEMA 3R raintight disconnect or junction box is commonly called a myers hub.
any of a number of connectors come to mind!

Sealing Locknuts To secure rigid/IMC conduit to a steel outlet box or other metal enclosure
carflex connectors
sealtight connectors

raintight hubs are even made by other companys besides myers

price a "myers hub" and it might pay to buy a box with a bolt-on hub hole in the top already.

although if the box is in place you might have to use a special fitting for a raintight connection.