Need to add an outlet

Old 08-05-14, 09:33 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to add an outlet

Well here's a brief description of what I have planned for the room.
I will be installing an aquarium and will be using quite a few accessories.
In the future I would like to get an electrician to add a sub panel and give this room a dedicated breaker.

Right now I only have one outlet at that location. I am thinking of just converting that one to a double. I would still need to use at least one power strip as 4 outlets would not be enough.
I will also be making them gfci.
Does this seem like a good idea?

Old 08-05-14, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,885 Upvotes on 3,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you had a lot of heavy loads I'd say install a second receptacle but with an aquarium most of the loads are fairly small. You would probably be better off just replacing the single receptacle with a GFI receptacle and use one or two good power strips.

Old 08-06-14, 11:01 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 414 Upvotes on 368 Posts
In the future I would like to get an electrician to add a sub panel and give this room a dedicated breaker.
I know this wasn't the core of your question, but for one or two additional circuits, you likely won't need a subpanel. Of course, that's a whole other discussion... but always looking to save a few $$

Old 08-06-14, 12:27 PM
J
@PJ Thanks for the reply, I will add the second receptacle because I don't like to run more than one power strip from a receptacle.

@ Zorfdt I want to add a sub panel because my current panel is maxed and I need some outlets in the garage. Also need more lighting. Once I do that I will give this room a dedicated circuit in that panel. The room will have the aquarium and computer equipment.

Thanks again, correct me if I'm wrong. But my plan is to change my current outlet to gfci. Then I will get power from there to the second outlet which doesn't need to be gfci. But it will still be protected.
Also any recommendations on a good power strip?

Old 08-06-14, 12:41 PM
D
You may be able to get an electrician to install tandem breakers, which would make one slot hold two breakers.

Old 08-06-14, 07:32 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
You may be able to get an electrician to install tandem breakers, which would make one slot hold two breakers.
But, not all panels will accept tandem breakers so you still might need a subpanel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: