Dishwasher Circuit

Old 08-07-14, 05:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Circuit

Long time read, first time posting, great forum!

Bought a house last year, built in 1992. I have been slowly going through the breaker panel and re-labeling things correctly. I have just figured out that my dishwasher, fridge and an outlet serving the microwave all are on the same circuit. I havenít had a problem with the 20 amp breaker ever tripping though. I have been doing some other electrical work and would like to run a new circuit to the dishwasher. I have four total circuits in the kitchen, 2 for counter top, 1 for the above setup and another for four outlets by light switches in the kitchen. All are 12 wire/20 amp breakers.

1) 15 or 20 amp circuit? (This will ONLY serve the dishwasher)

2) Do I need a GFCI or AFCI or special type of breaker?

Thank you all for the help in advanced!

Old 08-07-14, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 724 Posts
Welcomes to the forums!

I suggest a 20 amp circuit. That will give you the most flexibility later if you decide to add a disposal or something else.

NEC 2014 requires dishwashers to be GFCI protected. They are not required to be AFCI protected.

Old 08-07-14, 07:41 AM
If you have room in the panel, and you're going through the trouble of running new cable, I would suggest maybe pulling a 12/3 with ground. This way you have two circuits available near your destination using only one cable.
The wiring's a little tricky, but you could post back and the electricians can help you.

Old 08-07-14, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 724 Posts
Only issue with pulling a 12/3 is you would be required to use a two pole breaker. If the "extra" circuit is used for something that is required to be AFCI protected chances are it would need to be a two pole AFCI. Not a huge deal, just something to consider.

Old 08-07-14, 12:18 PM
J
Between the 3 other circuits, I think I have enough power. The house has a crawl space so itís not much trouble to run a line for it. It also helps with my generator loading. Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: