Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

placement of keyless garage door opener control panel and heat on battery

Old 08-08-14, 12:22 PM
D
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts

I'm installing a garage door opener. I have not yet installed the wireless keyless exterior remote control box. I believe installing them on the exterior side of the garage door trim in the usual placement. But, since my garage faces south, such placement means the control box will get direct exposure to sunlight during part of the day and, therefore, it will get quite warm/hot. Heat is the enemy of batteries. So, I'm wondering whether placement elsewhere, where the box would be less exposed to direct sunlight or completely out of direct sunlight would the best placement. Placement on a porch seems like one option.

Old 08-08-14, 12:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
As close as you can reasonably get it to the door, IMO - I wouldn't want a hike when I'm trying to get in that way.

Old 08-08-14, 02:11 PM
D
I just realized placing it up as high as practical next to the garage door will reduce its direct exposure due to some shade from overhang above the door. So, I'll keep it high.

Old 08-08-14, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Mine sits on the regular spot on the door jamb in direct sun for most of the afternoon...and believe me, I get some sun!

I've replaced the battery only once in 7 yrs.

Here's a hint if you have one of the black ones. Clean the cover off well with alcohol, let dry and use a spray paint for plastic to give it a lighter color. My neighbor had a black one and the sun warped and cracked it after he cut down his front shade trees, so I painted his replacement like I had done mine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: