safe wiring for pendant lights

Old 08-08-14, 01:16 PM
safe wiring for pendant lights

I took down an older kitchen florescent fixture so I could install 3 pendant lights. I added one fixture on the left and right of the current fixture. The fixtures are the 'old work box' style small fixture boxes. The light is on a 3 way, with 2 switches.

My main question is, I am running the wiring (12/2) from the other 2 fixtures (left and right) from the center fixture. The line from the switch is also running to the center fixture (12/2).

I am connecting a total of 4 neutral wires with a large nut, 4 hot wires with a large nut and 4 ground wires with a large nut. This connection is from the switch to center fixture, and connecting the center fixture to the right and the left fixture. I also made 3 splices to attach to each connection to allow me to connect the actual pendant light easier on the center fixture.

With a small work box, do I have too many wires / connections in such a small area? The box will be basically full of connections once the pendant is attached. Would this be a fire risk.

this is a link to a similar box that I am using
http://www.amazon.com/Lamson-Home-Pr...39BD8M30QVPBK3

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-14, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That box is 18 cubic inches. Each #12 is 2.25 cubic inches. Add up all the blacks and whites plus one for the grounds and see if it is overfilled.