Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Do I need a licensed electrician to install lights and receptacles?

Do I need a licensed electrician to install lights and receptacles?

Old 08-10-14, 09:48 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need a licensed electrician to install lights and receptacles?

I'm refinishing my half finished basement and getting all of the permits to do so. My friend that lives a town over just refinished his house and said he filed for the permit for lights/receptacles without a licence and did the work himself.

I went to city hall to pick up the permit and it has an area at the bottom LIC NO: EDIT: it appears to be some insurance coverage clause that can be waved by the owner?

Either way, do I need a licensed electrician to install lights and receptacles?

PS. my location is Brockton Massachusetts

Old 08-10-14, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Some/ areas/are/very/strict and require licensed contractors. Check with your permit office to see if they offer homeowner permits.

Old 08-10-14, 10:58 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As stated you need to check with your local office.
This is an excerpt from a permit application in one of my areas.

Complete this section only if you are an OWNER doing your own work,
and are not subject to licensure as a contractor or subcontractor.
If you are an owner and intend to do the work or subcontract the work, an Owner Affidavit is required
certifying that you are the owner of this tract or parcel of land, that you have applied for this permit, and
are not subject to licensing as a contractor or subcontractor. Signing the Owner Affidavit and in turn
obtaining the permit in your name, designates you, as the owner, responsible for the quality of the work
and compliance with applicable state and local codes. This “Owner Affidavit” must be completed, with
the signature of a person who witnessed your signature to this document, acknowledging your
compliance with Section 54.1-1111 of the Code of Virginia. (Note: Lessees are owners per state law.)
I, as the owner, will be responsible for the work performed on my property, and shall be responsible for
compliance with all state laws regulating building construction and use, and compliance with all county
ordinances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: