hanging light fixture - bulbs flicker, etc.

Old 03-15-01, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
This is a big 3-light pool-table light fixture. I've suspected that connections were faulty inside the fixture because a bulb would go out, then if you moved it it would go on for a while, then later go out. Also have a broken-off bulb end stuck in its socket.
I asked a local carpenter to take the fixture down for me, so it is laying on the pool table. Is this a do-it-myself option with your coaching? Or should I take it to a local electrician? Or to the lighting store 2 hours away in the big city? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-01, 12:21 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Take a pair of needle nose pliars and screw the broken bulb shell out of the socke. Be careful to grasp the metal of the bulb and not the metal of the socket's threads.

Pull the sockets out so that you can see the wires connecting to the light sockets and look for damage due to heat or loose connection.

Screw new bulbs into the sockets and plug the fixture wires into an extension cord as safely as you can. Then plug in the extension cord into a receptacle. Test the light where it lays and jiggle the fixtures gently. Look for a light that goes off and on and de energize the extension cord and recheck that socket that has a bad connection causing the lights to go on and off.

If you find wiring connected to the light socket replace the burnt parts and reconnect for a good connection. Make sure all connections are tight and the bulbs are screwed in tight.

Retest the fixture until you have found all loose connections.

Let us know how you came out

Wg

Old 03-19-01, 07:05 PM
Visiting Guest
follow-up & thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. The bakelite part of the socket broke after replacing the burnt sections of wires, and the area where I am has no such resources, so will take the whole thing to the big city to the repair shop.