Stairwell- Where can I mount fixture?

Old 08-12-14, 01:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stairwell- Where can I mount fixture?

How close to wood can I mount a light fixture. See photos below, I need to mount an octagon box and standard light bulb cover that mounts to the box. I can either mount it sideways on the wall to left of the smoke detector or I can mount it in place of the smoke detector.

Name:  DSCN0011.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  20.2 KB

Im 6'5 if I stand on bottom stair I am eye level with that smoke detector.

What if any requirements do I have to follow? And how would you mount it? Would you use a standard bulb cover or an actual fixture? Perhaps a jelly jar fixture?

Obivously this is nothing fancy, in fact it will be exposed work. The conduit enters from the left of that smoke detector.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 01:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't replace the smoke detector with a light. Mount it on the wall.

Old 08-12-14, 01:37 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The smoke alarm is in a good spot. As to a light fixture, I would mount it further into the lower level as a first choice and on the wall as you described as a second choice.
Get a frosted or similar cover to diffuse the light. Nothing worse than getting blinded while descending stairs.

Old 08-12-14, 01:47 PM
A
The smoke alarm though is battery powered.

There is no light at all in the stairwell... its kinda dangerous. Cant mount into that living space. So it would go to the side then?

Should I be concerned with heat from bulb being in close proximity to wood?

So the suggestion for frosted cover means I should go with a fixture rather than a proceline bulb holder?

Old 08-12-14, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would mount the light on the bevel portion of the ceiling. It would give adequate light to the majority of the stairwell. It would be out of the way of your head as well. It doesn't have to be as bright as a laser sword, just enough to provide light for the steps.

Old 08-12-14, 04:37 PM
A
Chandler, what type of fixture wouldn't look silly on that bevel? I was thinking about that approach and considered a strip light.

Do you feel that a lantern/jelly jar type light mounted on the wall in that left corner would not give sufficient light to the stairs?

Old 08-12-14, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would think a round low profile light with an occluded globe to dissipate the light and not make it so bright may work. Look at this: Commercial Electric Brushed Nickel 1-Light Flush Mount-GCI 8011A at The Home Depot