Question on Single Pole Switch Replacement ?

Old 08-12-14, 04:38 PM
Question on Single Pole Switch Replacement ?

I just encountered something raised some questions ... On a 15 amp breaker, I have a 15amp single pole light switch that is fed from a receptacle with 12/2 BX cable. I was planning on replacing this switch with another 15amp single pole switch and noticed that the current switch has two black 12/2 (BX) wire attached to the brass screws. This controls a light fixture. It also has a 14/2 romex cable with the black wire attached to the push-in tab on the back of the switch. All the neutrals are capped together. The 14/2 romex is feeding another 15 amp switch controlling another light.

Does this conform to code? Do I need to replace that 14/2 with 12/2 ? Appreciate any comments and/or suggestions. Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Backstabs are less reliable then the screws. The black hot and black unswitched load out to another switch should be connected to a pigtail. The remaining to load wires to switched light and receptacle should be connected to the second pigtail. The pigtails are connected to the switch.

Old 08-12-14, 05:09 PM
So no issue having 14/2 and 12/2 meeting in the same box? I thought for sure that was a violation. Thanks for the response.

Old 08-12-14, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
As long as the breaker is 15 amps it is not a problem.