New Switch Backward - WTH?

Old 08-12-14, 07:47 PM
New Switch Backward - WTH?

I got a Lutron Toggler 150-Watt Single Pole/3-Way CFL LED Dimmer Model # TGCL-153PH from HD for my new LED lights. Works OK. Two week later I purchase the same unit for another room. Install and its backwards. What I mean is on the first purchased, switch position up is on and down is off. Dimmer slider bar is up is bright, down is dim. The second one is switch position UP is OFF and DOWN is ON while the dimmer slider is correct as the other. I checked installation and its right. It has an installation stamp “up and arrow”. Is this a fluke? Should I even attempt to return it hoping I’ll get a correct configuration? Is this common?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That is a single pole / three way dimmer. That means it would have two brass screws and a dark or black screw. Keep the wire on the black screw and move the other wire to the other brass screw.

From the instructions....Helpful Hint: If you are replacing a single-pole switch, the screw on the same side as the different-colored screw is not used.

Name:  sw.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  33.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-12-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 09:27 AM
Well, you're damn well right. In my haste I wired it wrong. Thank you PJmax (Mighty Mouse). Saved me an angry trip to the store. Checked the other one too, with a meter, and I had the hot on the wrong side although I don't think it matters used as SP. I have very old wiring and I can barely tell the colors, so I do have to use a meter. Thanks, cheers!