Need help! Rewiring bathroom light switches.

Old 08-13-14, 05:26 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help! Rewiring bathroom light switches.

I have a bathroom w several light switches that I am attempting to replace. There are 6 switches in the room, but I am only changing 3 of them. Each switch has 3 black wires, no white, and no ground (house built in 1977). Problem is that once I connected the new switches, they don't work properly. Either they don't turn on or you have to have one on to make the others work. I thought for sure I connected them the same way they were connected originally, but obviously not. Any advice on how to troubleshoot the wiring configurations? I'm using single-pole switches w the green screw. I am not using the green screw as there is no ground wire coming from the box.

Old 08-13-14, 06:18 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Can you send a pic or 2, this sounds like 3 way switches ,are you capable of using a meter ?are the cables coming into the box Romex? If so the the bond wire may be back wrapped around the cable and clamped under the clamp ,in which case a bond wire under a ground screw installed in the box would be helpful.
Geo

Old 08-13-14, 06:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if the old switch had 3 screws......2 brass and one dark color(aka common) with one black wire to each screw.....................it was a 3-way switch

it can not be replaced by a single pole switch

a new 3-way switch will have 2 brass and one dark color(aka common) screws and a green ground screw.

the wire that was on the dark screw(common) on the old switch..........MUST.........be on the dark screw on the new switch!!!!

the other 2 wires go on the other 2 screws(one wire per screw) we don't care which is which.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: