Swapped regular breaker for afci...keeps tripping now...?

Old 08-13-14, 06:38 AM
Swapped regular breaker for afci...keeps tripping now...?

I swapped one of my breakers for an afci. All connections were secured. The precious owner it looks like he ran two individual circuits and then when he realized he ran out of space in the breaker panel he combined them in the panel with wire nuts.

Now when I try and turn this particular breaker back on, it immediately trips. I installed it correctly with the neutral and hot coming into the afci and a neutral coil back to the bar. I did notice that both circuits ground wire were not joined like the neutral and hot were coming out of the wall, they just went straight to the ground bar. What gives? It's a Murray afci breaker from lowes....the diagnostic lights show GND so I would assume the grounds need to be joined and reconnected with one wire...but what does that hurt when they're right there at the ground bar?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 06:59 AM
The precious owner it looks like he ran two individual circuits and then when he realized he ran out of space in the breaker panel he combined them in the panel with wire nuts.
If two circuits were joined as one with a pigtail before being connected to the original breaker, you'll have to also join the two neutrals as one with a pigtail and connect that pigtail to the AFCI breaker. The ground wires should go to the ground bar or neutral bus if this is the main panel.

Old 08-13-14, 07:05 AM
The neutrals were connected as one, then pigtailed to the neutral bar. I removed the connection to the neutral bar and connected it to the afci. The afci coil neutral was then connected to the bar.

Old 08-13-14, 07:11 AM
you have an AFCI breaker

you have two blacks wirenutted and connected to the brass screw on the breaker

you have two whites wirenutted and connected to the silver screw on the breaker

the grounds are connected to the neutral bar...with or without a wirenut

the AFCI breaker's neutral coil goes back to the neutral bar.

SOUNDS GOOD

the breaker may be bad.

the circuit may be bad.

you might split the 2 circuits and see if one or the other may hold.

remember....AFCI is cutting edge ( Emerging )Technology they do not always work like they should.