Wiring a 230v compressor

Old 08-13-14, 08:40 AM
Wiring a 230v compressor

I have an existing 230v 30a circuit that serviced a clothes dryer. I want to use this circuit to supply my new 60 gallon 208/230v single phase air compressor. I would like to accomplish this without doing any changes inside my CB panel. The dryer outlet has black and red hot wires, a white neutral and a ground. The compressor box has black, white and ground terminals. Can I connect black to black, red to white (CB panel to compressor terminal) and ground to ground, leaving the white neutral still connected to the neutral bar in the CB panel and capping it at the compressor? If not, then what can be done without totally rewiring the circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 09:06 AM
yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 25 characters.

Old 08-13-14, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing you are no longer using that circuit for a dryer.
You can wire it as you have written. The white will be capped off and not used.

Are you using a plug and receptacle ?

Old 08-13-14, 09:49 AM
Nix on the dryer. We've been in the house 27 years and never used the circuit since ours is gas. I'm considering installing a 30a switch with the black and red going to the line terminals and then coming off the load terminals with a 10-2 wire into the compressor's terminals. The compressor has an on/off switch on the pressure switch where the power comes in but I would prefer to have a separate way of cutting power to the unit.

Old 08-13-14, 02:29 PM
yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 25 characters.
Yes ................................