3 way color scheme?

Old 08-14-14, 09:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way color scheme?

Im wiring up 3 way switched light fixture. The feed is at the light. The feed is a black wire. What colored insulation should I use between the light fixture and the first switch?

This is conduit, so I don't use reidentified whites. I was going to use red for the travelers.

Old 08-14-14, 10:21 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Nothing is written in stone for 3-ways except neutral must be white or gray and ground must be green or bare. In conduit red or yellow is usually use as a switched hot. Since you used red for travelers I'd suggest yellow for switched hot.

Old 08-14-14, 11:19 AM
J
per code....as Ray says ...white and gray are neutrals................green and bare copper are ground wires..............any other color is a hot wire

in a 3 phrase system an orange wire is 208 volts to ground..............my power company sometimes uses blue

i have removed some old DELTA 3-pole breakers that used blue for the line and load.

a DELTA breaker is a SPECIAL 3 pole breaker that lets you put a 3 phase circuit in a single phase panel.

if you fine a 3 pole breaker in a normal house panel

BE CAREFUL.............THE BANG FROM SHORTING A 208 WIRE IS...10 TIMES LARGER THEN 110 VOLT SHORT

i have have shorted a 208 leg once

the large screw driver hit ground about 3 in from the tip...............the last 3 in melted and threw bits EVERYWHERE the safety glasses i had own had 9 chips in them.

i looked like a raccoon...............white around the eyes and a black face.

if you fine odd wiring in you panel.............get an electrican to check it out

BE CAREFUL

Old 08-14-14, 12:23 PM
C
Ray- The "switched hot" as you say in a 3 way with feed at light first would be the hot wire connected to the fixture correct?

I can just as easily use yellow as travelers, red as switched hot if that is more standard... (want to keep it neat).

Old 08-14-14, 01:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The "switched hot" as you say in a 3 way with feed at light first would be the hot wire connected to the fixture correct?
Yes.
I can just as easily use yellow as travelers, red as switched hot if that is more standard... (want to keep it neat).
A pro would understand either way. When cable not conduit is used red is normally used for switched hot but again installers option with conduit.

Old 08-14-14, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 730 Posts
For wires in conduit, we normally use one color for the travelers, and another for the common wire, either hot or switch leg.

n a 3 phrase system an orange wire is 208 volts to ground
This is not always true. In a 3 phase delta wired system, the high leg will be marked orange per NEC code. However, it is common practice to mark a 277/480 Wye system Brown/orange/yellow with the neutral colored white or gray. A 120/208 Wye system is commonly colored Black/Red/Blue with the neutral colored white. This coloring can be total different to any power company color SOP

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: