3 way color scheme?

Old 08-14-14, 08:07 AM
3 way color scheme?

Im wiring up 3 way switched light fixture. The feed is at the light. The feed is a black wire. What colored insulation should I use between the light fixture and the first switch?

This is conduit, so I don't use reidentified whites. I was going to use red for the travelers.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-14, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Nothing is written in stone for 3-ways except neutral must be white or gray and ground must be green or bare. In conduit red or yellow is usually use as a switched hot. Since you used red for travelers I'd suggest yellow for switched hot.

Old 08-14-14, 10:19 AM
per code....as Ray says ...white and gray are neutrals................green and bare copper are ground wires..............any other color is a hot wire

in a 3 phrase system an orange wire is 208 volts to ground..............my power company sometimes uses blue

i have removed some old DELTA 3-pole breakers that used blue for the line and load.

a DELTA breaker is a SPECIAL 3 pole breaker that lets you put a 3 phase circuit in a single phase panel.

if you fine a 3 pole breaker in a normal house panel

BE CAREFUL.............THE BANG FROM SHORTING A 208 WIRE IS...10 TIMES LARGER THEN 110 VOLT SHORT

i have have shorted a 208 leg once

the large screw driver hit ground about 3 in from the tip...............the last 3 in melted and threw bits EVERYWHERE the safety glasses i had own had 9 chips in them.

i looked like a raccoon...............white around the eyes and a black face.

if you fine odd wiring in you panel.............get an electrican to check it out

BE CAREFUL

Old 08-14-14, 11:23 AM
Ray- The "switched hot" as you say in a 3 way with feed at light first would be the hot wire connected to the fixture correct?

I can just as easily use yellow as travelers, red as switched hot if that is more standard... (want to keep it neat).

Old 08-14-14, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
The "switched hot" as you say in a 3 way with feed at light first would be the hot wire connected to the fixture correct?
Yes.
I can just as easily use yellow as travelers, red as switched hot if that is more standard... (want to keep it neat).
A pro would understand either way. When cable not conduit is used red is normally used for switched hot but again installers option with conduit.

Old 08-14-14, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
For wires in conduit, we normally use one color for the travelers, and another for the common wire, either hot or switch leg.

n a 3 phrase system an orange wire is 208 volts to ground
This is not always true. In a 3 phase delta wired system, the high leg will be marked orange per NEC code. However, it is common practice to mark a 277/480 Wye system Brown/orange/yellow with the neutral colored white or gray. A 120/208 Wye system is commonly colored Black/Red/Blue with the neutral colored white. This coloring can be total different to any power company color SOP