Wiring a garage/barn

Old 08-14-14, 06:45 PM
Wiring a garage/barn

I am looking to run electricity to my garage, but I'm not quite sure what size I need to run. The garage is about 85 feet from my house and I will be running the wire through conduit underground. I am planning on installing a sub-panel there, and was thinking of doing either a 60 amp or 100 amp sub-panel, mainly so I can do a 240V outlet for a table saw or small welder. The main use would be lights and 110V outlets, about 8-12 outlets total and the lights will most likely be LED. It won't have any garage door openers or anything like that. My house currently has 200A service.

What size wire should I use and what material (copper or aluminum)? I mainly want the outlets for things like a circular saw, jig saw, table saw, things like that and I doubt I'll have more than 1 or 2 things going at the same time.

Thanks for any advice and let me know if more info. is needed.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-14, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Nominal voltage is 120 not 110. If no welder, no electric heat a 60 amp breaker and two #6 black (or black and red), one #6 white, and one #10 green THWN copper. At least a 12 space 100 amp main breaker service panel kit for the subpanel. In addition you will need a ground bar for the subpanel and a "x*' ground rod. The main breaker panel is usually the cheapest way to go and comes with an assortment of breakers including the 100 amp breaker which is used as your disconnect switch not a breaker.

Old 08-14-14, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
It won't have any garage door openers
FYI - A garage door opener is a very minor load.

Old 08-15-14, 09:55 AM
As for heat, I am planning on installing a window heat pump unit, which I would assume is a large load. How much would that change the size of the wire I need to run?

Old 08-15-14, 10:23 AM
As for heat, I am planning on installing a window heat pump unit, which I would assume is a large load. How much would that change the size of the wire I need to run?
You forgot to mention if the heat pump has electric resistance backup heat strips in it and the electric specs of the unit from the data plate. It might be a large load and it might not even be significant, depending on the actual load of the unit.