Tiling over an outlet

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-14, 06:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling over an outlet

We're installing a kitchen backsplash and there's a standard 1-gang outlet we don't want anymore. It's right in the middle of where we want to do a mosaic that'll be the focal point of the backsplash. We've got plenty of other outlets, so we don't need to move it. We just want to get rid of it the easiest way possible.

I'm not sure how to actually remove the box without cutting into the drywall, and then that leaves the issue of the romex. I suspect this outlet is in the middle of a daisy-chained series of outlets.

Even though we're tiling, I'd like to avoid more drywall work. Is there any way to just tile over it? Push the outlet back into the box a bit and cover it with a flush plastic plate or something? Do they make something for that purpose?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-14, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
There is nothing made that allows you to bury a live box and to bury a live box is not allowed.
If the connections in that box went bad... you'd have to open the wall up to repair them.

If you are tiling... now is the time to do what needs to be done. You'll need to open the box up and see how many wires are in there. Let us know and we'll go from there.

What is directly on the opposite side of the wall ?

Old 08-15-14, 07:05 AM
M
Ugg. Yeah, I know you're right. If the outlet was dead I wouldn't think twice about it, but the fact that it's a live outlet is just too risky. We could cap it off but then we'd lose the next outlet in the chain, too.

I suppose the "easiest" thing to do is flip it over onto the opposite wall with a plate, but I doubt my wife is going to like that, and I am getting so tired of drywall work. May just have to move the darned mosaic somewhere else.

Old 08-15-14, 07:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Intentionally violating code for the sake of cosmetics is a very poor decision.

Old 08-15-14, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
The receptacle may also be needed to meet the spacing requirements also.

Old 08-15-14, 09:43 AM
M
No offense, but there's code and then there's code. I agree in this instance that violating code in this way is a bad idea. I've also installed an outlet on a dimmer switch, which technically violates code, but I know it's not going to pose a risk for my application.

Old 08-15-14, 10:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No offense, but there's code and then there's code. I agree in this instance that violating code in this way is a bad idea. I've also installed an outlet on a dimmer switch, which technically violates code, but I know it's not going to pose a risk for my application.
No offense, but the fact that you were considering concealing a junction box in a wall doesn't speak very well to your ability to assess which of your violations are a risk or not.

You do not have the luxury of picking and choosing which aspects of the code you want to adhere to.

Old 08-15-14, 10:31 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
No offense, but there's code and then there's code.
It sounds like you will do whatever you want anyway so why even bother asking the right way to do it if you have no regard for your own safety or that of your family?

I've also installed an outlet on a dimmer switch, which technically violates code, but I know it's not going to pose a risk for my application.
How do you know it won't pose a risk? And what if someone else in your family plugs something into this outlet - maybe you aren't even home. You have done something pretty risky here.

Old 08-15-14, 10:45 AM
M
How do you know it won't pose a risk? And what if someone else in your family plugs something into this outlet - maybe you aren't even home. You have done something pretty risky here.
Because it's situated above upper kitchen cabinets, behind crown molding, for my cabinet lighting. Nobody's going up there to plug in an appliance - especially when there are a few dozen outlets spaced every few feet around the kitchen (including the one ruining my amazing backsplash). Again, there's code and there's code.

And I already agreed that I shouldn't tile over the backsplash. I'm either going to have to move the mosaic or reverse the junction box to the opposite side of the wall.

Old 08-15-14, 12:06 PM
Received 69 Votes on 65 Posts
Art.406.15 a receptacle can be used with a dimmer as long as it is a unique combination of cord cap and receptacle, which in this case I am sure it isn't.
Geo

Old 08-15-14, 12:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As you do not seem to be willing to take the advice given and do the work in a code compliant way I am closing this thread. If you want help doing the work in a code compliant way please start a new thread.

Old 08-15-14, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
How's this for code:

314.29 Boxes, conduit bodies, and hand-hole enclosures to be accessible. Boxes, conduit bodies and hand-hole enclousers shall be installed so the the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish finish grade.

Closed Thread