Running new hot wire through existing conduit

Old 08-17-14, 08:07 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running new hot wire through existing conduit

Hi,
I am trying to wire up two sconces on opposite sides of a window to a single switch. My problem is that I cannot run wire from the switch on one side of the window to the sconce on the other side of the window because it would make the job too big (take down drywall, drill holes through aluminum studs that do not have pre-drilled holes, patch thr drywall). I do, however, have two receptacles on either side of the window and rigid conduit connecting them - they are both middle of run receptacles. The conduit currently has a hot and neutral wire in it which connects the two receptacles.
My question is, can I pull another hot wire through the existing conduit? This hot wire would run from my switch, using MC, down to my receptacle, through the existing conduit (using 14 wire) to the receptacle on the other side of the window, then up to my second sconce, using MC again. If this is possible, do I need to pull just a hot wire through or both a new hot and new neutral wire?
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-14, 08:18 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Code requires a neutral in the switch box, if you're on that cycle (2011?)

The rest sounds ok as far as I understand it, depending on what these receptacles are for.

Old 08-17-14, 08:27 AM
D
Thank you for the quick response.

The switch box itself would have a neutral from the MC running down to the receptacle. This is a condo and as far as I know these are just typical receptacles.

Do I have to pull the old wires before running all three new wires? Or can I just fish through the new hot wire?

Last edited by dlogan; 08-17-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-17-14, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
As long as the circuit has capacity for the load and the conduit has room for the additional conductors your plan sounds good.

Last edited by pcboss; 08-17-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 01:59 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Or can I just fish through the new hot wire?
This sounds like a rather short run so I would say yes. You could try pushing 14 AWG THHN/THWN wire through or using a non-metallic fish tape to pull either solid or stranded through with the existing wires remaining in place.

Old 08-18-14, 05:51 AM
J
Code requires a neutral in the switch box, if you're on that cycle (2011?)
where is that in the code?

Old 08-18-14, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
404.2(c) (2011)
-----------------------------

Old 08-19-14, 04:16 PM
D
Sounds like my plan is doable. The other part of my question is whether I need just a hot wire or both a hot and neutral in the conduit?

Old 08-19-14, 04:26 PM
J
one neutral is all you need.................2 is OK

Old 08-19-14, 04:45 PM
D
This may be a silly question so excuse my ignorance, but what do I do with the neutral wire running from the receptacle up to the sconce?

In other words, once I pull the new hot wire through the conduit, I will have three wires in the receiving receptacle - one new hot wire and the existing hot and neutral wires. The existing hot and neutral will be attached to the receptacle terminals and the new hot wire will be attached to MC and run up to the second sconce. The MC has a neutral in it - I would attach the new hot wire to the hot in the MC, but what do I do with the neutral wire in the MC? Do I attach it to something, pull it out entirely, cap it off?

Old 08-19-14, 04:58 PM
J
This may be a silly question so excuse my ignorance, but what do I do with the neutral wire running from the receptacle up to the sconce?

In other words, once I pull the new hot wire through the conduit, I will have three wires in the receiving receptacle - one new hot wire and the existing hot and neutral wires. The existing hot and neutral will be attached to the receptacle terminals and the new hot wire will be attached to MC and run up to the second sconce. The MC has a neutral in it - I would attach the new hot wire to the hot in the MC, but what do I do with the neutral wire in the MC? Do I attach it to something, pull it out entirely, cap it off?
hook the white wire to the outlet with the white

you might remove the white wires off of the outlet........join them together (with a wirenut)with the MC white wire and a short pigtail which you would reconnect to the silver screw on the outlet

the first sconce would hook up to the first outlet. color to color

all the whites are tied together and go to both outlets and both lights.

Old 08-20-14, 06:32 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I will have three wires in the receiving receptacle - one new hot wire and the existing hot and neutral wires.
No, you won't have one new hot wire, you'll have one new switched hot wire that goes to the sconce.

but what do I do with the neutral wire running from the receptacle up to the sconce?
You already have a neutral at the receptacle below the new sconce. You need a new neutral from that existing neutral up to the sconce. At the fixture, the white fixture wire connects to the new neutral and the black fixture wire connects to the new switched hot wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: