electrical

Old 03-15-01, 07:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have two 3 way switches one on each end of the barn.
I want to be able to turn the same lights on just from either end. How do I wire the switches. I wired one switch with red by itself and white on the top and black on the bottom and wired the other switch the same way. All the reds are tied together. One switch turns them on no problem. But when I try the other switch it kicks the breaker. Any clues on how to wire this other switch? I'm running 12/3 romex.

Old 03-15-01, 08:22 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I will assume that the source of circuit power is coming to one of the switches first, but it could be coming to a light first, if that is the case then repost and I will adjust my instructions accordingly.

Switch 1 - 3-way switch, source of circuit power at this location.

Switch 2 - 3 way switch.

3 wire + bare run between switch 1 and switch 2.

Switch 1 has 1 cable-source of circuit power, 3-wire cable going to 2nd switch, and cable going to feed the lights.

At switch 1....

circuit black to common screw of switch 1, red and white (from cable going to switch 2)to other 2 screws of switch 1
black from cable going to 2nd switch connects to black of cable going to light. Circuit white to white of cable going to light.

At switch 2, black to common screw of switch, red and white to other 2 screws of switch.

All grounds at each box together and grounded to box.

If you a different source of circuit power please repost with details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: