In ProcessAdSlots.php line 39: Trying to access array offset on value of type null

Remote Control Power Box… Fact or Fiction?

Old 08-17-14, 10:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remote Control Power Box… Fact or Fiction?

Im having a new patio structure built into my backyard. It will consists of 2 different landing zones (for sitting) and stairways.

My GC has run power out there so we will have AC.

Heres my question:

I want this to function in zones, not as a single "on / off" switch.
Ideally Id like:

1. 1 zone, dimmable, for landing area 1
2. 1 zone dimmable, for landing area 2
3. 1 zone dimmable, for lighting on the stairs
4. There will be AC outlets in both zones, Id like those always hot.
5. For all of this: For it to be on a nightly timer (on at 6, off at 10), but with my ability to adjust as I see fit on any night, without screwing up the next nights program.
6. ability to control this both from inside my house & outside as well. This is where Im thinking remote control.

Id love to get opinions on this. And for any seasoned vets (this is my first time doing this) let me know if Im over stretching or what good alternatives would be.

Any & all help is appreciated. Ive done a fair amount of googling & couldn't find anything that really applied to this set up.

Thank you

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-14, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You say your GC has run the power out there, however unless you mentioned this to them before they installed the wires you might not have enough wires to do what you want. Each zone will need both a separate switch leg for each lighting circuit and then a hot for all three areas receptacles. That would be a total of 6 wires (3 switch legs, 1 hot, 1 neutral (or more if more than one circuit) 1 ground.

You also say you want them dimmable, is this low voltage lighting? You can not install a dimmer on a receptacle.

Let us know what you plan to dim and maybe we can help.

Old 08-17-14, 04:51 PM
M
Thank you Tolyn,

Those are good points & good questions.

I can tell you the lighting in the zones will not be low power. zone 1 & 2 (both 18x13 foot landing areas built into the slope) will power 2 60-80 watt bulbs in outdoor enclosures. The other zone, for the stairway lighting, will be low wattage, i.e.: small stair lights, but not sure if thats considered low power (like simple malibu lighting).

For the dimmer, do you know of a good way to address this? you can kind of see what Im trying to accomplish, Im open to other ways of doing it if my thinking is off. There are going to be times we want to zone lights up (partying) and when we want them dim (romantic fun times!). lol.

As for the on & off switching. I know I can put the on off switches outside in the actual zones, but is there a way I can also control that from inside the house? THis may be of less importance/priority if I have the whole thing on a timer, which I am also trying to do.

Any input or direction is welcome, Im not married to my thinking, but just trying to figure out how to get this work...

Old 08-17-14, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Three way switches could be installed or something like the Lutron radio RA could be used.

Old 08-17-14, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Not low power or low wattage, I'm talking low voltage land scape lighting. But you answered my questions anyway. Everything is 120 volt.

As PC mentioned, three ways switching could be installed, but keep in mind that with each three way you will be adding another two wires per three way. This will all depend on what your GC has installed for you.

Before we continue, we need to address what you have installed now and if that will even work with what you want to do. This way we will know what options are even available.

Old 08-18-14, 08:30 PM
M
OK, Im on it. Give me a day & Ill report back in. Thank you both...