Need help with wall switch please!

Old 08-19-14, 03:53 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with wall switch please!

I have a 2-switch box: one runs over-sink light, one runs disposal. At least until disposal was switched on, heard a cracking sound. Disposal kept running until unplugged. The plan was to replace both switches. Replaced light switch and light worked. Replaced disposal switch, now neither works. Just noticed that there's a bare copper wire on the disposal side......Here's the setup: light switch has 3 black wires. Disposal switch has black, white and the newly discovered bare wire. Somebody please help before I have to call one of my brothers-in-law (both electricians) for help. That's last resort stuff....

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-14, 04:02 PM
An electrician will be able to answer this. I just wanted to give you a quick reply and warn you that this box will contain (most likely) 2 circuits. Ensure you shut off power to both disposal circuit and light circuit.

Old 08-19-14, 04:11 PM
K
Power is off now....1 breaker for each switch.

Old 08-19-14, 04:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the newly discovered bare wire.
That is not relevant to this discussion but when the problem is solved you need to be sure it is connected per code.
light switch has 3 black wires.
Is one back stabbed? Is there a group of white wires connected only to each other in the back of the box? Does the garbage disposer have a receptacle or is it hard wired. Either way tell us if there are two 2-conductor cables in the wall junction box or receptacle box.

Old 08-19-14, 05:04 PM
K
Yes, there's a group of white wires in the back of the box. Not sure what 2-conductor wires are. Any way to post a picture here?

Old 08-19-14, 05:09 PM
K
Name:  IMG_0677[1].jpg
Views: 346
Size:  37.0 KB

Photo is attached, hope that helps.

Old 08-19-14, 05:39 PM
Not 2-conductor wire, 2 conductor cable. A cable containing two wires plus a ground wire on newer cables. A cable is two or more wires (not counting ground) in a metallic or non metallic sheath. Did you disturb the wires on the switch for the light? Do you have a multimeter, preferably analog? Need to see a picture of the junction box in the wall at the garbage disposal.

Old 08-19-14, 06:28 PM
K
There's just the outlet that the disposal plugs into under the sink. Is that what you're talking about? Sorry if I'm ignorant about this stuff. And I've got a voltage/continuity detector, Southwire 41160S

Old 08-19-14, 06:38 PM
There's just the outlet that the disposal plugs into under the sink. Is that what you're talking about?
Yes that receptacle.
And I've got a voltage/continuity detector
Not really any good for real testing. If we need to test you will need a cheap ($8-$15) analog (not digital) multimeter. First though tell us the wiring at the garbage disposal receptacle.

Terminology: Outlet is any place electric can be tapped. Three examples are lights, switches, and receptacles. Receptacles are a female device that takes a male plug.