Green stuff on wires in panel

Old 08-22-14, 12:09 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green stuff on wires in panel

I had a new panel installed about 6 months ago. Everything was pristine condition. I opened the panel cover today and noticed on the neutral service wire the very tips of the strands have turned green... its very miniscule but obviously it wasn't like this 6 months ago. The green kind of reminded me of the green you find on copper water pipes due to messy flux.

FWIW, the two ungrounded service wires have nothing of the sort on them nor does any of the other wires in the panel. I also don't see any evidence of anti-ox or any "goo" on the wires.

Do I have an issue starting here?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-14, 12:37 PM
Received 84 Votes on 74 Posts
I opened the panel cover today and noticed on the neutral service wire the very tips of the strands have turned green
It sounds like corrosion on a copper conductor, but you didn't mention if the service entrance wiring was copper or aluminum. Are there any signs of moisture entering the panel? Is the wiring in conduit or is it service cable?

I also don't see any evidence of anti-ox or any "goo" on the wires.
The typical antioxidant compound is for aluminum conductors. Copper generally needs no compound, but in some cases Kopr-Shield will be used, but because of the cost you'll never see it unless it was spec'd on a job.

THOMAS & BETTS Dressing, Cable - G0759796 at Zoro

Old 08-22-14, 12:48 PM
Z
Yes, copper. Service comes in rigid conduit. Is that a sign of moisture then? I don't see anything that indicates water per say and there is duct seal on the entrance of the conduit.

Old 08-22-14, 12:51 PM
Received 84 Votes on 74 Posts
Is this in a humid basement environment? High humidity levels can also cause corrosion.

Old 08-22-14, 12:55 PM
Z
Its in a basement on an outside wall. But I cant say its any more humid than any other installation in a basement. Is there something I should do to seal the conduit better?

Since this is a "new" installation, should I be asking the contractor back out or is there something Ican do myself (without having to touch those lugs)?

Again, its very minimal at this point should I be concerned?

Old 08-22-14, 01:15 PM
Z
Would you consider adding sealant to the conduit opening in the meter socket a DIY job?

The meter socket is brand new as well. So if rain water was at play here it would likely have to come in thru the opening at the weatherhead.

There was signs of moisture in my OLD panel. I assumed with a new weatherhead, riser, meter socket and panel that it would no longer be an issue.

On the other side of the basement about 100' from the panel and a few closed doors away, I have a cheap thermometer and humidity stat and it reads about 75 percent relative humidity. Theres a sump pit in close proximity to that thermometer though.

Also the day they installed the panel it was real cold outside and I noticed when they left for lunch with that conduit not sealed inside the panel the cold air was streaming down the pipe and into the panel.

Old 08-22-14, 07:42 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Way to humid it needs to about 50% or your going to be dealing with corrosion and mold.
Time for at least a dehumidifier, better still start looking outside for reasons why moistures getting in there.
No gutters, grade not sloping away from the foundation.
Mulch or flower beds up against the foundation.
No sealing on the foundation.
No drain tiles.
ECT.

Old 08-22-14, 11:42 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Joe, what does ECT mean? kp0o-jngfreg0-i]qw0tgp

Old 08-23-14, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
If it was just installed 6 months ago it should still be under warranty. Ask them to stop back and check it out. If there is a problem it can be addressed before it gets worse.