Ceiling fan motor wiring-extension cord

Old 08-23-14, 02:11 PM
Ceiling fan motor wiring-extension cord

First let me preface this with I am not an electrician and all my actions up to this point were based on assumptions. I am attempting to build a ball mill using a ceiling fan motor. I assumed I could do this running from an extension cord. I purchased a used fan, stripped it down to basically a motor with a shaft running through it, with 4 wires coming out of said shaft. As I said, I'm not an electirician, but didn't expect the colors to be red, yellow, brown, and purple. I have no clue how to wire this to an extension cord or if its even possible. Any advice would be really appreciated. There was a light and other wires in the light base and I removed these. I still have them if they are necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-14, 02:29 PM
It sounds like you have a 2-speed, 240 volt, PSC motor. Is there an information sticker on the motor? May I ask? What is a ball mill? Something to do with baseballs?

Update- are you sure there are only 1 purple and 1 yellow and not 2 of each?

Last edited by daddyjohn; 08-23-14 at 02:39 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-23-14, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please complete your profile so we will know where you are located. Since we are primarily a North American forum, not knowing you are from a country with different electrical systems could conjure up incorrect information.

Old 08-23-14, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
A ceiling fan has very little torque. I seriously doubt it would run a ball mill.

Old 08-23-14, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
That's a standard 120vac fan motor. Those wires get connected to capacitors as well as power.

Old 08-23-14, 06:36 PM
Daddyjohn the sticker says 120v/60HZ 0.75a so I don't think it is a 240v. And I'm positive the wires I'm referring to are one of each. These are the only wires coming directly from the motor. I disassembled it all the way to the coils before putting the case back on. A ball mill is similar to a rock tumbler, and this one is planned to be about a liter in volume.

Chandler I live in Jacksonville, FL and bought the fan from someone who bought and installed it in a home here so I assume the wiring would be common in the US.

PJMax There are two small black boxes in the light fixture base that was part of the fan. Would these be the capacitors? Could I remove them and re-install them in say a junction box along with my switch?

And thanks again for the knowledge you guys are willing to share.

Old 08-23-14, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Are you sure it will be powerful enough to turn a tumbler. Is this based on something on the web?

Name:  2ceiling-fan-capacitor-replacement.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 08-23-14, 08:09 PM
I'm not positive it will be strong enough but I am planning on running pulleys with a reduction of about 4:1. If it isn't strong enough I will get something else. This is just a learning experience for me.