multiple outdoor lights/junction box/extension cord

Old 08-25-14, 02:26 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
multiple outdoor lights/junction box/extension cord

I have a party coming up. I want to make about 8-10 pendant lights in mason jars to hang from tree branches. I would like to leave the fixtures up permanently, but this will only see occasional use, so i want to use an extension cord for ease. My thinking is this; Run all the fixture wires into an outdoor junction box permanently mounted onto the tree. Then use an extension cord from the junction box to a 15 amp GFCI outdoor outlet about 40 feet away. (Will most likely be using 8 x 40w bulbs= 320w)

1. Is this safe for occasional use?
2. How do i make the transition from junction box to female end of extension cord?
3. Are there certain "weather resistant" wires and sockets i should use for the fixtures?
4. What size/type of wire should i use for the fixtures?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-14, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I see no way that the homemade light fixtures can be made weatherproof, which is what they would need to be if they will be out all the time. The sun and rain will degrade them quite quickly.

The best option I see is to use low voltage components, which are weatherproof, and a low voltage transformer to power the lights. You can plug in the transformer into the available GFCI and then run the other cabling however you want. This would be the safest method.