new switches install issue

Old 08-25-14, 02:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new switches install issue

I have two switches in my powder room (1 light, 1 exhaust fan). I replaced with a motion sensor light and countdown timer switch. The 2 gang box has 1 black hot wire and 3 switched hot blacks. The third switched hot black was spanned across both old switches in the bathroom. So I replaced the new switches and put 1 black from each new switch to the hot, and 1 switched hot to the other black and the spanned 3rd switched hot to each of the switched hots. Now my everything goes on or off with either switch. The Third switched hot controls a dining room light in the adjacent room.

Should I just have 1 switch using the hot? Maybe that is how it was wired with the old setup, but I didn't pay attention when I removed it.

Name:  BB_00028.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  30.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-14, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The black wire that goes to the dining room should be attached to the hot wires supplying your switches. The switched black wires will attach to the other screws on each switch. Your diagram doesn't make correct sense. Are you calling "switched hots" incorrectly? The wires supplying the dining room are not switched at this location

Old 08-25-14, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Does that third light in the other room have its own switch? If so, it should also be connected to the hot and not to the switches. The reason it is not working right is because you have the switches paralleled.

Old 08-25-14, 03:45 PM
C
As a rule, the previous guy that wired your house may not have used the correct wiring colors per code, I always take a picture of the wiring configuration before I swap something out.

Old 08-25-14, 03:48 PM
S
The issue was resolved by taking that "bridged" switch hot and connecting that to the hot wire. I think the previous setup had 1 hot going to one switch and that other wire was connected to the hot switch and supplied hot the the second switch and the third dining room switch.

Thanks Tolyn and Chandler for your input and helping me to resolve the issue!

Old 08-25-14, 06:01 PM
S
Good advice PMCmhc00per. I should take my time before ripping wires out. Would save me a lot of hassle.

Cheers

Old 08-25-14, 06:45 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
the previous guy that wired your house may not have used the correct wiring colors per code
The NEC does not say what colors the switched hot wires should be, but only says what colors they cannot be. They cannot be white, gray or green, but any other colors are fine for the switched hots.