K & T- multiwire branch circuit question

Old 08-26-14, 03:19 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
K & T- multiwire branch circuit question

Hi there, wondering if the pros could advise on the following.

I have a duplex that is being renovated where there is a multiwire branch circuit that a) runs the lights on the main floor and b) runs the lights on the second floor.

The second floor is getting new wiring and a new panel. I have removed the fuse with the hot going up to the second floor, essentially leaving the other 15amp circuit to run the lights on the main floor.

The concern I have is that they share a neutral. Is there any issues leaving it set up as is, with the hot for the 2nd floor circuit disconnected? Does that old wiring on the second floor need to terminate in a junction box? My concern is the shared neutral, which will be used for main floor lights, but terminates nowhere upstairs.

Thanks
Gerry

Old 08-26-14, 04:42 AM
J
The concern I have is that they share a neutral

is OK

Is there any issues leaving it set up as is, with the hot for the 2nd floor circuit disconnected?
no put a wirenut on it in the panel and mark it just in case you need it

Does that old wiring on the second floor need to terminate in a junction box?
yes

My concern is the shared neutral, which will be used for main floor lights, but terminates nowhere upstairs.
terminate in a box
....................................................................................................................

Old 08-26-14, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The neutral is not being shared if you have removed the one hot from the multi-wire circuit. It would now just be a standard circuit.

However if you ran a new hot to the second floor it is going to need the associated neutral run in the same raceway or cable and originate in the same panel as the hot.

Old 08-26-14, 06:58 AM
F
Yes, but currently it's not in a box. I had cut the wires (K&T) assuming it was one circuit. It wasn't until I opened the panel that I saw it was a multiwire branch circuit. I'll add a junction box and hold the neutral and the hot (that is no longer used) in there as john suggests.

Does that make sense?

Old 08-26-14, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,973 Upvotes on 3,566 Posts
You should have mentioned K & T in your first post.

If you are renovating..... won't you be removing this K & T ?
Do you know where the neutral connects on the first floor.... it you do.... disconnect it.

Old 08-26-14, 09:01 AM
F
All the K & T is being removed on the second floor, hence the issue with the neutral. As to where it connects, I have no idea. I suspect that there is a hidden junction box in the wall (there was one on the second floor as well). The main floor K&T is running lights only, so my preference is to keep it rather than begin opening up walls and ceilings, and close off the K&T on the second floor as the walls have been exposed on that floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: