Ceiling Fan Wiring Puzzle

Old 08-26-14, 12:57 PM
Cool Ceiling Fan Wiring Puzzle

Name:  photo (4).jpg
Views: 338
Size:  16.0 KB

Hello all! This website has been very helpful but I finally came across an issue that I cannot solve myself.

Essentially, I have three-way switches that power a fixture at the "end of the cable run". I recently purchased a ceiling fan and light combo.

I would like to power the ceiling fan and light separately with a "Dimmer and Fan Control" style switch.

The problem I'm having is that there is only a Two-Wire Cable coming into the ceiling fan junction box. I think I need a Three-wire cable to power fan/light separately.

What is the most simple and best solution to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-14, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing you confirmed only one two wire cable at the fan.

They make ceiling fan remote controls that go into the switch box. They only require two wires and send commands wirelessly or thru the wiring.

Regardless.....you have two switches there which cannot both be used to control the fan and light. One would need to be bypassed.

You could look into the Lutron system that has it's own two controls and a new remote module for the fan.
amazon-Lutron-MA-LFQ3-AL-Maestro-Dimmer-Control/dp/B0017O6YOE

Old 08-26-14, 01:22 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I did confirm that there is only a 2 wire cable coming in.

I haven't even thought of the wireless route. That may be the way to go. If I go with a wireless route, would I still have to bypass the switch or could I keep it "as-is"?

Thanks again!

Old 08-26-14, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
I'm fairly certain you would have to bypass the second switch.

Old 08-26-14, 02:11 PM
Thanks again! So if I bypass the 2nd switch, do I leave the switch hooked up or remove the switch, cap the wires, and leave a blank spot?

The biggest issue I'm having is that the previous owner install 2 recessed lights after the ceiling fan. I would like to be able to turn the lights off and keep the fan running but that is not possible with the way it is setup.

Old 08-26-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Those lights were not shown in your original diagram.

That is a problem that there is no easy way around. How to you plan to control those lights ?
If you go with the remote type fan control there will be no way to control those lights anymore.

Old 08-26-14, 06:42 PM
I should have included that but I didn't want to complicate things and I know the solution to that (if I could solve this issue).

As of right now, I'm considering running the fan/light off the existing 3 way switches and using the pull chain to turn off the light. As for the recessed lights, I think I'm going to isolate them and run them off their own switch. Does this sound like a logical solution?

While the fan/light control switch would be ideal, I am actually getting this house ready for market, so it doesn't have to be exactly what I want, BUT I do want to do it correctly and safely so the next owner doesn't have to deal with an issue.

Old 08-26-14, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
That solution would work. If it was up to me I think I'd leave the two recessed fixtures and the light in the fan run on the three way switches and run an always live to the fan.

The lights would all work with the switches and the fan would work strictly off the remote.

Old 08-28-14, 07:58 PM
Maybe something like this would work instead of using a remote: Functional Devices, Inc. - Lighting Controls - Light Controllers - FL101