Arc Fault Breaker tripping

Old 08-27-14, 03:40 PM
Arc Fault Breaker tripping

I have a three year old vacation home near the beach. The home is wired with the mandated arc fault breakers, Eaton type Fireguard AFCI CHAF. In the master bedroom and only the master bedroom when I plug in a hand held (10 amp) vacuum, the breaker trips. If I plug the same vacuum in all the other AFCI breakers - no tripping. Called the builder who called the original installer and he swapped out the breaker in the master bedroom. Test the circuit with the vacuum - same problem. The only load on the circuit is a couple of table lamps and one ceiling fan.

The only difference on the configuration of the master bedroom circuit is a GFI outlet that protects on outdoor patio outlet. I have tested the GFI and it functions properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-14, 03:55 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Here's a quote from the wikipedia page on those breakers. I'm not saying that's what's happening. It's just a thought.

"AFCIs are designed to protect against fires caused by electrical arc faults. While the sensitivity of the AFCIs helps in the detection of arc faults, these breakers can also indicate false positives, identifying normal circuit behaviors as arc faults."

Old 08-27-14, 04:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since the vacuum runs on other circuits it looks like there is a problem in the one circuit.

Old 08-27-14, 05:49 PM
Bad brushes will cause AFCI's to trip, but just on one circuit that is odd,is the vac switched off when you plug it in,I have seen it happen that if the load i.e vac is turned on and then plugged in it will trip an AFCI because of the arc caused by the load being plugged in.
Geo

Old 08-27-14, 07:42 PM
Since the vacuum runs on other circuits it looks like there is a problem in the one circuit.

If I plug the same vacuum in all the other AFCI breakers - no tripping. Called the builder who called the original installer and he swapped out the breaker in the master bedroom. Test the circuit with the vacuum - same problem. The only load on the circuit is a couple of table lamps and one ceiling fan.
Call the builder back!

The problem is in the circuit.

Get the builder to get the electrican to FIX IT.

Old 08-28-14, 07:33 AM
Call the builder back!

The problem is in the circuit.

Get the builder to get the electrican to FIX IT.
The house is 3 years old, it is probably out of the builder's and electrical contractor's warranties, labor charges may apply. The CH series AFCI breaker is lifetime warranted by Cutler-Hammer.

Old 08-29-14, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. The electrician that wired the house is finishing two home across the street. I indicated that this was not an emergency and he can fit it in to his schedule.