Kitchen remodel, hiding outlets and lights, how?

Old 08-28-14, 02:27 PM
Sip
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen remodel, hiding outlets and lights, how?

Hello all,
I'm at studs and about to wire my kitchen remodel. My goal is to do strip outlets attached underneath the the upper cabinets as well as dimmable, wall controlled led lights under cabinet.
I know I need two counter circuits. My plan is to hard wire the lights and the strips. This may require me to put in gfci breakers for these circuits because the strips will hopefully be hidden.
So my question is, if I place a two gang box behind one set of cabinets for the led circuit and one of the outlet strips, and a single gang box behind another cabinet for the other outlet strip, how do I deal with the exiting wire?
Do I coil up a few feet of wire inside of the box so the drywallers can do their job? Do I splice a new wire and keep the connection on the box? And how do I deal with the existing the box? Do I drill two half inch holes into a junction box plate and attach two 90 degree stress reliefs to it?
Is there a better way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 02:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My plan is to hard wire the lights and the strips. This may require me to put in gfci breakers
Hard wired lights do not require GFCI protection. Are these lowv oltage are 120 volt lights?

Old 08-28-14, 07:02 PM
Sip
I'll probably be using a transformer to knock the lights down to 24v. But I still have two circuits serving the counter top.

I think I have the wiring sorted, as the undercabinet lights can be on the same circuit as the recessed lights in the ceiling, with a different switch control. And then to circuits for the countertop outlets I am mounting as strips below the wall cabinets.

My real question is how do the wires leave the interior of the wall, and get to either of the outlet strips, or to the led light strips? Do I just leave an open box? Do I put a cover on it? Do I use my romex? Do I use Flex Wire? Do I just have an extra long length of romex coming from the box I put in the drywall?

Old 08-28-14, 08:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Depends on if they are low voltage wires or 120v wires. 120 volt wires should not leave the wall unless protected by raceway or conduit.

Old 08-29-14, 09:00 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
if I place a two gang box behind one set of cabinets for the led circuit and one of the outlet strips, and a single gang box behind another cabinet for the other outlet strip, how do I deal with the exiting wire?
Did I miss something? The boxes behind the cabinets must remain accessible, how will you keep access to boxes installed behind the cabinets?

Old 08-29-14, 11:03 AM
Sip
Hi Casual Joe,

That's what I was thinking when I started this. I'm trying to figure out what the solution is. How do I hide the three lines that are going to be under the cabinets, without breaking codes and/or without making drywalling a bear?

Old 08-29-14, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
If you use something like Plugmold you would bring the cable directly into the strip and splice there. You would also need to use the more expensive GFI breaker instead of the GFI receptacle to provide GFI protection.

Old 08-29-14, 06:16 PM
Depending on the height of the upper cabinets this may not meet code. Code requires that the receptacles be no more than 20" above the countertop. Have you taken this into consideration?

Old 08-29-14, 08:05 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
My goal is to do strip outlets attached underneath the the upper cabinets
I am assuming you don't like the look of receptacles installed in the wall above the backsplash, but have you considered resale value of the house. I would never buy a house where I had to bend over and look up under the wall cabinets to plug something in. Will the AHJ even allow receptacles to be installed like that even if you meet the height requirement?