Adding new switch for a pair of lights

Old 08-29-14, 09:48 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding new switch for a pair of lights

I've attached an image showing what I'm starting with. Light2 is currently wired in parallel with Light1 in the junction box. Light1 is in a ceiling box in my utility room and Light2 is in a wall in the entry way to that utility room.

I would like to add a switch on the wall below Light2 to eliminate having to fumble in the dark for pull strings on the light fixtures. The switch needs to control both lights.

I've also attached an image showing one possible wiring solution. However, I'm not sure if I like it because A) I have to run a second 14/2 cable from the switch all the way to the junction box and B) there is no neutral wire in the switch box (needed for some dimmers).

I would like to have a solution where I can simply run a cable from the new switch box to the Light2 box. I've labeled the connections in the starting diagram if anyone is willing to explain which connections need to be made. Is it possible using 14/3 cable?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 10:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
If you run a xx-3 cable from the junction box to the light 2 and then xx-2 to light 1 you can do this without excess cables. Splice the power black to the black of the xx-3 to the switch. The red will be the switched hot from the switch to the black of L2 and to the outgoing black to L1. All whites splice through. Cap the white at the switch. All grounds splice through and to any metallic boxes and all fixture ground leads.

You could also just take the power to the switch first and then to L2 and L1.

Old 08-29-14, 11:27 AM
E
pcboss,

Here is a diagram of what I think you described. However, I'm assuming I need xx-3 from the switch to Light2 as well?

Attached Images  

Last edited by electroneer84; 08-29-14 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
You got it. You could also just run xx-2 from L2 to L1. The xx-2 black splices to the red and the L2 black and skip going through the junction again.

Old 08-29-14, 01:07 PM
E
Although connecting L1 directly to L2 is probably more understandable for the next guy, I don't have an easy way to re-route that cable because I'm working with existing wiring in a drywalled ceiling. I have easy access to the junction box, the switch and L2, however, so I think your xx-3 design is probably the best for this situation.

The main goal here was to not have an extra cable running from the switch around L2 to the junction box and you definitely solved that problem for me. I've found so much of that kind of messy wiring in this house and it drives me nuts. Thanks for your help.