Two wire being used as Three wire

Old 08-29-14, 06:29 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two wire being used as Three wire

I want to put a three way motion detector in utility room but I just have the black, white and ground in the box. Wires are coming in from three different groups of two wires each. How do I hook the three way detector to these wires because there is NO Red wire in any of the three groups of wires.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
What type of switch are you replacing? How are the wires in the switch box spliced now?

Old 08-30-14, 05:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Why would you need a 3way switch in a utility room? Are there two doors? Some switches are adaptable to spst or three way. The red wire is capped from the factory and is only used in 3 way situations. What brand and model switch are you using?

Old 08-30-14, 07:10 AM
R
The utility room is connected to the garage so I have two doors and a very dark room when doors are closed. There is a three way switch at both door and one light in middle of ceiling. My new three way motion switch has red, black, green and blue wires coming out of it but I only have black and white wires coming out of the wall.Name:  20140830_095037.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  30.3 KB This is a picture of the wall switch with wires connected.

Old 08-30-14, 07:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If they ran two 2-conductor cables between the switches instead of a 3-conductor cable those cables should be abandoned and a 3-conductor cable run. Code requires all wires for a circuit in the same sheath or raceway. Two 2-conductor cables would violate that though it would work.

Old 08-30-14, 08:02 AM
R
The walls are all finished but what would be the best way to replace wires. Would my idea of pulling wire from the ceiling light down to the switch work or is there another way to do it.

Old 08-30-14, 09:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Normally it doesn't mater if the walls are finished. Wires can be fished without damaging the walls.
Would my idea of pulling wire from the ceiling light down to the switch work
Yes, if you mean a 3-conductor cable (White, black, red, ground) to each switch. Assuming an unfinished attic above though or an unfinished basement/crawl space below you could just fish a 3-conductor cable between the two switches.