30 amp to 40 amp circuit

Old 08-30-14, 08:25 AM
30 amp to 40 amp circuit

I am remodeling my kitchen. I currently have an electric cooktop on a 30 amp circuit and a separate wall oven on another 30 amp circuit. I am replacing the cooktop with an electric range. The range requires a 40 amp circuit. The cabling is older metal-clad BX cable. Do I need to change the cable or will the same cable work and it's just a simple matter of swapping out the circuit in the box?

Also...I am moving the refrigerator to where the wall oven is now. Is that just a simple question of installing an outlet box? If not, what do I need to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-14, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
You will likely need to run a new cable as the old 30 amp circuit is likely only #10 wire.

For the refrigerator, you can just install a box and receptacle. You will need to change the breaker to a 20 amp single pole if you are going to use one of the existing 30 amp circuits. General use receptacles are limited to 20 amps.

Old 08-30-14, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
A 40 amp circuit would require 8-3 with ground cable (four wires). What is the old Bx? Is it true old style BX with no bond strip in the sheath? If it is modern armored cable, has the bond strip or a green wire, has #8 red, black, and white wires it would be usable. Otherwise no.

I am moving the refrigerator to where the wall oven is now. Is that just a simple question of installing an outlet box? If not, what do I need to do?
Again it depends on if the cable has a reliable ground. Old style BX wouldn't. The breaker would have to be changed to a single pole 20 amp breaker. Simplest might be to abandon the cable in place and run a new receptacle from one of the counter top circuits.

Old 08-30-14, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The old 30 amp circuit is 240 volts so you would also need to reconfigure the wiring to 120 volts if you don't want to let the smoke out of the refrigerator.