broken live wire underground safe?

Old 08-31-14, 03:22 PM
broken live wire underground safe?

if there is a live wire buried underground in a conduit but the conduit deteriorated and the wires are exposed, will it cause the lawn/soil to become electrified?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-14, 03:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see how it would do that. If the soil got soaked, I would think that the breaker would blow. How do you that's the case? We could use some more details.

Old 08-31-14, 03:59 PM
i just bought the house and the garage power stopped working.

the cable is buried underground and i was just following it and dug a little and found that the conduit is broken/deteriorated and you can see the two wires inside. the black wire insulation is also broken, so you can see the copper.

i am in the process of just following the conduit and cables inside the house to figure out which breaker it is to shut it off completely, but being that theres wires everywhere i'm having a tough time.

I was just wondering if the black wire is exposed and its in the lawn/soil will it send power into the lawn making it unsafe to walk on.

Or it would just be "grounded" to the ground/earth and send a short back to the breaker.

Is there a way to cause the wire to short so that it would pop the breaker so i know which wire it is easily?

Old 08-31-14, 04:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
In theory, you could touch the two wires together to pop the breaker but before you do that, continue to trace the circuit. Draw a straight line from the garage, to the closest exterior wall, in the house (cellar). You should see a junction box right there. Open that box. You should see the wires exiting the foundation. You can't just shut that breaker because usually other things are on it. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-01-14, 06:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This would be a good use for a non-contact voltage sensor.

Have someone outside sensing the voltage and turn off one breaker at a time until you find it.

While it shouldn't be too much of a safety issue, I don't know that I would want a live bare wire under the ground. I would definitely work towards disconnecting it safely as soon as possible.