Need some advice on wiring up a new outdoor motion light.

Old 08-31-14, 06:04 PM
Need some advice on wiring up a new outdoor motion light.

Ok, so I have a basic understanding on how to connect the wires to the motion light, my problem is with where and how do I determine on where to connect the other end. Do I have to put it on a switch? How do I wire that in? There are some junction boxes in my garage, just not sure if I can tie another wire into that. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-14, 07:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is there now? Did you have a standard spotlight on a switch to begin with? Or are you starting from scratch?

Basically, you need a circuit with a bit of spare capacity. The cable will go to the switch, then to the motion sensor, then to the light.

If you tell us what you have to start with, we can help from there.

Old 09-01-14, 01:26 PM
First, thanks for the reply. I am starting from scratch. The light will be outside my garage which I have access to. Thanks.

Old 09-03-14, 07:17 AM
Do I have to put it on a switch?
No, the motion detector is the switch. I personally would still want a switch inside the garage so I could just turn the thing off if I so chose.

How do I wire that in?
It can be wired to any 120 volt circuit, but I would suggest wiring into a lighting circuit at a junction box. White to white, black to black and ground to the ground or metal junction box. The new fixture must be installed on a box, either flush or surface mounted, where the wiring connections will be made.