Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Newly installed dimmer will dim/brighten, but not turn off lights...

Newly installed dimmer will dim/brighten, but not turn off lights...

Old 08-31-14, 07:31 PM
Newly installed switches will not turn off lights...

Just installed a basic Leviton 6602 rotary dimmer. The switch will dim/brighten the lights, but will not turn them off. The dimmer is not the kind that you must push to turn off. When you turn the dial to off, it clicks, but the lights don't go dark. I tried two different 6602s. Same problem.

I then tried installing a new single pole rocker switch. Same issue. When on, the light is bright. When flipped off, the lights just go dim, but not off. The old switch turn lights completely on and off.

The house has old wiring (no ground, just two wires). I'm using a single pole switch. The switch controls two light fixtures. There is no other switch. I am using incandescent bulbs.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by PetterJames; 08-31-14 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-14, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Can you post a picture of the old switch? Is there another switch that controls this light? (3way)

Old 08-31-14, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
The house has old wiring (no ground, just two wires). I'm using a single pole switch. The switch controls two light fixtures.
Try removing the second bulb and see if it goes out.

Old 08-31-14, 11:20 PM
Im thinking you have CFL's, or something of that nature.

Old 09-01-14, 02:18 AM
Group Moderator
No, he said he is using incandesceni bulbs.

Old 09-01-14, 03:23 PM
Thanks

Well...I figured it out. I replaced both light fixtures that the switch controls. Turns out, one of the connection I made in the fixture furthest from the switch had some loose. Once I fix the connection and put it all back together, the switch was now working. Lame. Sorry to have troubled you.

Old 09-01-14, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
We have all been there done that at one time or the other and frankly your problem didn't sound like a loose connection so we might have cussed a bit before figuring out if we'd been there.