removing electrical outlet help

Old 09-01-14, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question removing electrical outlet help

Today my electrical outlet caught on fire, it was a window air conditioner and it was the only thing plugged into that outlet and the other outlet on the same breaker isnt being used at all. so i turned off the breaker and disconnected the wires from the outlet (which was most likely the cause of the fire, im no electrician but it looked like a 5 year old wired it) and really what i want to do is remove the outlet entirely (until i feel like putting a new one in) so my question is how do i safely do that? do i have to individually cap off the 5 wires? or can i just cut the big white one and cap that off, and is there anything i should be aware of when doing this. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-14, 03:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Why 5 wires? There should be two bare, two black, two white assuming this isn't the end run?

Old 09-01-14, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yeah, youre right, i just noticed the second bare wire spliced with the first, although rather crudely

Old 09-01-14, 04:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Each pair should be connected together with a wire nut and a blank plate put on the box.

The reason for the fire was probably a worn out or cheap receptacle or they use backstabs instead of the screws. When you replace it buy a commercial grade receptacle. It may be back wired which is not the same as back stabbed and is an excellent way of connecting the wires. Pigtailing instead of using the receptacle as a bridge is a good practice also.